Options

interview for the network customer support engineer position

suchitsuchit Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,
I have an interview for the network customer support engineer position. Please anybody can tell me what type of questions they may ask on customer support.

Comments

• Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    How would your best friend describe you?

Describe yourself in 3 words?

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

What are your short/long term goals?

Whats the most trouble you've ever gotten into at a job?

Whats the biggest mistake you've ever made?

Do you think your fascination with Star Wars is healthy for a grown male?
  • Options
    CucumberCucumber Member Posts: 192
    I think it depends on the support level, salary being paid, etc.

If its for an entry level position with a low salary, dont worry, they will only ask some very basic tech questions, and would basically try to figure out if you are willing to accept a low income without complaining.

For higher level positions, some recruiters will try to make you nervous because they want to know how good are you to manage angry customers. Once I had a very harsh interview and whatever I answered, the guy would ask me the same question again and again, and I was thinking like "I just TOLD YOU!". He was rude on purpose (I want to believe).

i.e.
    What would you do if you did not know the reason or source of a customer's problem?

My answer. I would look it up in a troubleshooting database, internet, etc.
    What if you still didnt know the reason?
    My Answer. I would try to lab it up.
    Answer. I would ask someone with more experience than mine.
    What if he didnt know the reason?
    etc,etc

I would say the thing here is just going to the point on tech questions, rather elaborate on the "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" type of questions. And if they come up with the repeating til exhaustion technique just say "I think I already answered the question at hand". :P
    I hate pandas
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    Cucumber wrote:
    I think it depends on the support level, salary being paid, etc.

If its for an entry level position with a low salary, dont worry, they will only ask some very basic tech questions, and would basically try to figure out if you are willing to accept a low income without complaining.

For higher level positions, some recruiters will try to make you nervous because they want to know how good are you to manage angry customers. Once I had a very harsh interview and whatever I answered, the guy would ask me the same question again and again, and I was thinking like "I just TOLD YOU!". He was rude on purpose (I want to believe).

i.e.
    What would you do if you did not know the reason or source of a customer's problem?

My answer. I would look it up in a troubleshooting database, internet, etc.
    My Answer. I would try to lab it up.
    Answer. I would ask someone with more experience than mine.
    What if he didnt know the reason?
    etc,etc

I would say the thing here is just going to the point on tech questions, rather elaborate on the "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" type of questions. And if they come up with the repeating til exhaustion technique just say "I think I already answered the question at hand". :P

Wow what a crazy interview!!!

But sounds like you handled it really well.

However having spent some time in the trenches of the help desk I can totally understand why they did this to you. I am sure you can understand as well. Some customers just think they are so special that their problem should be fixed yesterday. And some are just not tech savy and just have to really be spoon fed things.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    However having spent some time in the trenches of the help desk I can totally understand why they did this to you. I am sure you can understand as well. Some customers just think they are so special that their problem should be fixed yesterday. And some are just not tech savy and just have to really be spoon fed things.

HA! story of my life ! :D

its so annoying isnt it!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The title of this position is very confusing.

Define each of them what do they mean from your opininon

network
    customer
    support
    engineer

Then add them up. All I see is a title that don't make sense. The position is a helpdesk support function, but not sure what tier. It is depending on the job description and what they told you.

So, be prepared using teamwork, organized, procedure, user friendly and people skill.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn