BEST prep book you recommend ...

ROMGabeROMGabe Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all, today I just passed my first CompTIA exam (Security+) and now I have my sight on Network+ for next month (28 days of study, 1 week per each domain).

The only resource I have are the TechNotes here and
O'Reilly's "A+, Network+, Security+ exams in a Nutshell" recently published book.

Is there another book/CBT that you would recommend. I really don't want to spend a lot of money or more time with extra materials to pass Network+ considering how low the passing score (554 of 900 for Network+ vs. 764 of 900 for Security+), BUT I do want to have a good grasp/understanding/efficiency of the foundational material covered by Network+ and also use the book in the future as reference.

Also, any tips regarding the format of the 2005 edition of the N10-003 Network+ exam would be much appreciated. Just want to make sure I cover all bases and am not surprised on the exam.

Thank you for your feedback.
----
Studying CCENT/ICND1 (640-822)
Future tests:
in 2008: CCENT, SSCP, Linux+, A+,
in 2009: CCNA/ICND2 (640-816), C|EH, CWNA, CWSP,
in 2010: CCNP, CCSP.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I see a lot of people use this: http://www.amazon.com/Network%2B-Certification-All-Guide-Third/dp/0072253452/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205378953&sr=8-2

The Network+ has a lot of obscure questions, and many people complain about not coming across a lot of the material in their studies. You shouldn't let the lower passing score give you a false sense of confidence. You should be studying for 100% anyway. The goal is to learn the material, especially if you want to continue on to more advanced certifications.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I can only tell you about my experience. I used Sybex for the Network+ and I thought it was good for me.
  • freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    My personal preference is Mike Meyers' book on Net+.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • Magnum2544Magnum2544 Member Posts: 103
    The PDF on this site is really accurate and spelled out.

It's all I really studied along with the N+ CBT Nugget.
  • ROMGabeROMGabe Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The only gripe I have with buying Mike Meyers' book on Net+ is that the publication date is before the latest exam update/change - 2005.

Since I already have the Mike Meyer's book on Security+, I will switch and try the Sybex book on Network+. There is only 1 year difference between the publication dates on these two books.
    ----
    Future tests:
    Magnum2544 ... and others

If you had to make the investment and purchase a "CBT Nuggets" DVD Video Training, would you make the same (pricey) decision ?? Or would you opt and buy the book instead.

Considering that the N+ CBT Nuggets is priced at $249, I would rather go with a book that costs only $31.

RomGabe.
    ----
    Future tests:
  • freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    Whether or not you get benefit from CBT depends on your learning style. If you are a good classroom learner and enjoy the one-way lecture style, then CBT's are your ticket.
    I got a lot more from reading the book and making flash cards.
    Hope that helps.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    RomGabe wrote:
    The only gripe I have with buying Mike Meyers' book on Net+ is that the publication date is before the latest exam update/change - 2005.

Since I already have the Mike Meyer's book on Security+, I will switch and try the Sybex book on Network+. There is only 1 year difference between the publication dates on these two books.

The date is not relevant.

The current objective base is N10-003 that is what the book is based on. The year only reflects the year of the exam...this year is the 2008 exam...no difference then the one a few weeks ago as 2007.

Meyers and Sybex and the TechNotes here are all very, very good.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Plantwiz, do you know when the 2005 exam went live? I looked around quick, but I never found a date.

I think his his hesitation is because the latest Meyers book was published in August 2004.

Anyway, Meyers is quite involved with CompTIA and likely participated in the beta process and had the official 2005 objectives well before the exam went live. It would probably help if they put 2005 objectives or included the exam number somewhere visible though. The first mention I saw of it was at the bottom of the acknowledgments page (I actually just got this book today).
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    dynamik wrote:
    Plantwiz, do you know when the 2005 exam went live? I looked around quick, but I never found a date.

I think his his hesitation is because the latest Meyers book was published in August 2004.

Anyway, Meyers is quite involved with CompTIA and likely participated in the beta process and had the official 2005 objectives well before the exam went live. It would probably help if they put 2005 objectives or included the exam number somewhere visible though. The first mention I saw of it was at the bottom of the acknowledgments page (I actually just got this book today).

from CompTIA: http://certification.comptia.org/network/about.aspx
    About CompTIA Network+®
    In 1997, industry leaders joined together and formed the IT Skills Project, a task force that identified, classified and published skill standards for networking professionals. Using this benchmark criteria, CompTIA developed a certification to validate the foundational knowledge and skill sets established by the industry. CompTIA Network+ was first launched in 1999, and exam updates followed in 2002 and 2005.

N10-003 began in 2005 and this was the first we begin to see the year being printed on the certs. The objectives are the same, merely the year was added to show the year in which the candidate completed the exam.

As far as when the book was published....I seem to recall there was a change over period like with so many other exams....starts near the end of 2004 and switches completely in 2005 to allow some time for people who were preparing to take the exam.

Keep in mind, publishers/authors get sneak peaks at content to write material. They do have to turn the material quickly...but they would have it prior to the release of the exams.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Thanks all. I think I have reached a good compromise solution.

I will have the local Borders or Barnes&Nobles stores order for me the two books:

* Network+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Third Edition (All-in-One) by Michael Meyers (Hardcover - Aug 18, 2004), $39.68 on Amazon.com
    AND
    * Network+ Study Guide, 4th Edition by David Groth and Toby Skandier (Paperback - April 14, 2005), priced at $31.49 on Amazon.com.

I will take my CompTIA N+ printed exam objectives and compare the Table of Contents of each book against the objectives and then decide on the book. Then I will go home and order the book on Amazon.com since the prices are 30% to 40% reduced.

Until then I have the Exam Objectives, the new O'Reilley's "A+, Network+, Security+ Exams in a Nutshell" reference and the TechNotes. Not to mention all the resources of all the active bloggers here. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!
    ----
    Future tests: