Options

Scheduled BSCI for April 8th at 4pm (UPDATE-PASSED!)

jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
*****PASSED, story at bottom.....****

Wish me luck!! I'm planning on getting the CBT Nuggets, I'm almost done the Cisco Press book on BSCI(page 400), waiting on the Routing TCP/IP Volume 1 book, and I'll probably buy the Transcenders. If I'm really feeling generous I may buy a lab.

Costs so far:

180$ for the CCNP library and Video Mentor
150$ to register for the test
67$ on the Routing TCP/IP book

Total: 397$ so far.

When all is said and done, I'll probably end up spending 3500$

How much have you non-schooled guys paid so far in your pursuit?

Since January, my home lab is a lot bigger.
"Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So far I have the Cisco Press BSCI, Routing TCP/IP Vol I 2nd edition, and dynamips. I have not had to purchase any hardware yet. I don't think it will be necessary for the BSCI since dynamips rocks. Today I created my own template BSCI lab, with my own manually configured frame-relay switch. Now I can quit reconfiguring everything everytime I want to try something. I always have a clean lab I can fire up. :)
  • Options
    Dynamips huh? have you any of you worked with Boson for sims for the CCNP?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    bmaurobmauro Member Posts: 307
    For routing nothing comes close to dynamips.

As long as you have access to real IOS files - the software is FREE.

I worked with Boson during my CCNA studies and was not impress with the "feel" or that some commands were not supported - or that some debugs did not work how they should have.

Dynamips is how it really works as if I actually powered on my lab - only downside is no switching.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    $3500 for BSCI? Or for CCNP?

I have worked out the costs myself, and assuming I don't fail and do not buy a multilayer switch, I am look at about $2000. (couple 3600s, 2900s, 2 books per test, and 150 per test)

Books and test fees alone are over a grand.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dynamips man is the most reliable and most economical way to go. It uses actual IOS images and runs exactly as if you were on actual equipment. I'm kind of repeating what someone else already said, but hey, it's THAT good.

Boson sucks compared to dynamips, and I don't think it is sufficient for all the CCNP tests anyhow. I found Boson to be buggy. There were times when routes were just disappearing and whatnot with no rhyme or reason when I was working on the CCNA, which is pathetic because CCNA routing is pretty basic - you can't really screw it up.

It was at that point I stumbled upon dynamips. Download it from sourceforge man, take the time to figure it out (yes you may need a couple hours...so what...its worth it) and you won't be disappointed. You'll still need switches for the BCMSN, but for the BSCI...dynamips has it all.

Have Fun! :)
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    oh god boson. they only good product that company makes is the secret password decrypter
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Aquabat wrote:
    they only good product that company makes is the secret password decrypter

I always thought their IP Subnet Calculator was okay.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    sprkymrk wrote:

I always thought their IP Subnet Calculator was okay.

Solarwinds is better.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    GT-Rob wrote:

I have worked out the costs myself, and assuming I don't fail and do not buy a multilayer switch, I am look at about $2000. (couple 3600s, 2900s, 2 books per test, and 150 per test)

3500 for CCNP.

My books and Video guide were around 250$
    CBT Nuggets were 600$
    Tests, 150$x4- 600$
    The lab I want will be about 2000$

So I think $3500 is a good estimate of the cost.

P.S. I took everyone's advice and started using dynamips
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    GT-Rob wrote:

3500 for CCNP.

My books and Video guide were around 250$
    CBT Nuggets were 600$
    Tests, 150$x4- 600$
    The lab I want will be about 2000$

So I think $3500 is a good estimate of the cost.

P.S. I took everyone's advice and started using dynamips
    now you can use that $2000 for switches. you could get 3 3550s and a 2950 atleast.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    now you can use that $2000 for switches. you could get 3 3550s and a 2950 atleast.

I already bought 3 2950s, 2x3640, a 2522, and a 2509
  • Options
    qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    Here's my lab...its in the mail:

3x Cisco 3640 Routers (128/32 RAM MAX), 12.4 Enterprise IOS
    2x Cisco 2611XM Routers (256/32 RAM MAX), 12.4 Enterprise IOS
    2x Cisco 3550-24PWR Switch w/Latest EMI IP Services IOS (2 GBIC Ports)
    2x Cisco 2950G-24 12.2 Enterprise IOS switch (2 GBIC Ports)
    1x Cisco 2511 Router, 16/16 RAM (MAX)
    5x Cisco NM-4A/S Four Port Serial Modules (1 per 3640/2611XM)
    6x Cisco NM-1E2W Ethernet Modules (2 per 3640)
    1x Cisco 2522 Router, 16/16 RAM (MAX)
    2x Octal Cables (2511)
    10x DCE/DTE Serial Crossover Cables
    12x AC Power Cables
    1x Console Cable Kit

4k total

PS. I'm also using dynamips..its awesome!,.....but to work with real hardware and the chance to screw up the wiring/cabling is much better
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • Options
    Well, my lab took forever to arrive and my job kind of killed my study time so I had to postpone. I'm thinking of using the getcertify4less 90$ early expiry voucher. Does anyone have any experience using them for vouchers?
  • Options
    YossarianYossarian Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, my lab took forever to arrive and my job kind of killed my study time so I had to postpone. I'm thinking of using the getcertify4less 90$ early expiry voucher. Does anyone have any experience using them for vouchers?

I have. They're legit.
  • Options
    qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    skip the CCNP Video Mentor....get the CBT or Trainsignal stuff better
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • Options
    the Video mentor seems pretty useless. It's VERY basic. The CBT nuggets have it all over that product. I just bought another 3640 for 150$. Ebay is great! After many reschedulings due to our desktop tech being out and me doing two jobs for 3 months (desktop and network admin), I have set a date. I set it for this tuesday! I'm nervous, but I think I have it down. I'm rereading the Cisco press BSCI book now and I'm going to do some lab work this weekend.
  • Options
    I took the test at the closest testing center to work which was a New Horizons CLC about 5 miles away. The receptionist was very rude and did not pay attention to me at all for about 30 minutes and would just dismiss anything I said. I got there at 3:20 and she didn't let me take the test until 3:55. Every other center I've gone to will let you start as soon as you arrive.

Bad experience aside, I passed the BSCI with an 877. Not as high as I wanted, but whatever.. I was hammered with multicast questions. I'd make sure you know that topic very well. I've studied for this since the beginning of January with the assistance of a home lab, dynamips, the ciscopress CCNP library, video mentor, CBT nuggets, and the CCIE Routing TCP/IP book. I read the BSCI CCNP library book twice, read the CCIE book once, and reviewed my weak points with CBT nuggets and dynamips. There was some stuff that I definitely didn't see in the books.

For those of you who took BSCI then BCMSN, how long did you wait in between? I'm thinking of waiting a week.
  • Options
    jezg76jezg76 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Grats, Jimmy! Your score is eerily similar to mine.... :P

Good luck on the BCMSN!
    policy-map type inspect TACO
    class type inspect BELL
    drop log
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I passed the BSCI with an 877.
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

Was you post a test to see who really reads entire posts? icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    haha, yes, and it seems about 46 people havent came to the end of the post. Thanks!
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    Was the testing center in KOP. I was there last week taking my BCMSN and she was rude to me as well.
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    It was KOP. On Horizon rd. She said she couldnt set me up because she was finishing other work and my test wasn't until 4. She was sitting there staring off into space.