Options

Remember this?

hedhrtshedhrts Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just got books. Looking for advice

Posted Dec of 2006. I finally got a suitable lab up and running in July/August of 2007. I started studying just after that. The information in the books seemed overwealming at first. Taking baby steps, I managed to get through CVoice first. My employer is sending me on all the courses. I lucked out here. My study methods have developed to:

1. Go through subject book, if one is available.
2. Practice on labs, if one is available.
3. Take instructor led course, if employer allows it.
4. Practice any question items that came up on course, on lab.
5. Spin the wheel and take exam.

p.s. Do NOT take a BOOT CAMP (12 hour days). I took one, and never again. Too much information in too little time. There is no time at the end of the day to read any material you're un-clear on. I think this type of course would only be benificial to someone that already has years of experience on the subject matter and there is a major change in that area.
eg. CCM4.x to CCM6.x

I have the following exams under my belt for the CCVP

1. CVoice
2. CIPT version 5
3. QOS (just got on March 14, 200icon_cool.gif

What suprises/scares me is that when I'm reading the courseware that I actually understand the subject matter now, and that I'm doing less research on each paragraph that I read.

This is definitely a long drawn out process, but worth it in the end. I'm not there yet, but can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It took me a while to get into a groove of learning. I haven't done this in about 25 years, for this period of time (2 years at a college). It also makes it much different, having a family life (I was living at home for college, and learning was my only responsibility).

I don't visit this forum as much as I like, but find the best way to find the answers to my questions is to do the research myself, unless I'm having difficulty finding an answer. Then I come here and ask. The drawback is my questions and answers aren't published here. Sorry, but I'll make more of an effort to publish my studies in the future (no promises). Bottom line, the answers are on the internet, mostly on the cisco web site, you just have to go find them. This site makes it that much easier by already refering a direct link to your questions. I have used them many times.

Thanks for any help I've gotten on this site. Good luck to every one going after any type of certification. Believe me, I know what you're going through.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    hedhrts wrote:
    You were so young, wide eyed, and innocent back then....
    hedhrts wrote:
    the best way to find the answers to my questions is to do the research myself, unless I'm having difficulty finding an answer. Then I come here and ask.
    .... but you've grown up so fast and gotten really smart. icon_sunny.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    hedhrts wrote:
    The drawback is my questions and answers aren't published here. Sorry, but I'll make more of an effort to publish my studies in the future (no promises).

You could always do something like setup a blog or mediawiki (the free software that runs wikipedia), and just enter information whenever you feel like it. Even if you don't make it publicly available, you might find it to be a great resource for yourself.

Congratulations on your progress, btw. It seems like you've come quite a ways.