Learning OSX?

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
So a lot of jobs in my area require that I know how to troubleshoot and work with Apple software, mainly OSX. Are there any videos or video podcasts that show you how to perform tasks that you would generally do in a windows environment...how to join to a domain, share files, manage users, etc?

I have the time. :o
Money to purchase a Mac and teach myself, I have not.
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    There are some alright videos on www.vtc.com . A number of books on amazon.com for the apple certified help desk technician.

I picked up a 400mhz IMac last year for $50. Runs OSX.4 just fine. Used PC133 ram.
    -Daniel
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just said I don't have money to spend. :D
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    [Post removed: Posting information about pirated software is against the rules of TechExams.net.]
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Posting information about pirated software is against the rules of TechExams.net.
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Cant believe he posted that in here. Some people just never learn.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    learn bsd
    or go to berkley
    rm -rf /
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Hmmm.. I really didn't think it was pirating to run a vm of OSX. Or any OS for that matter. Just like running multiple sessions of windows or something.

anyways, sorry about that.
    I'm talking about administering through the OSX gui. :\
    Talic wrote:
    Hmmm.. I really didn't think it was pirating to run a vm of OSX. Or any OS for that matter. Just like running multiple sessions of windows or something.

anyways, sorry about that.
    You need to buy a licensed copy of ANY commercial operating system to run it as a VM image. Virtualization doesn't mean you get free copies of any commercial OS.
    I ran into that snag with Dynamips. There aren't free IOS images, are there(off-topic)?
    Nope, the Cisco IOS is definitely not free in any form. There's much more information about that topic in our Cisco forums.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you can't afford a mac, but want to familiarize yourself with the OSX experience, I think this will help you out.
    dynamik wrote:
    If you can't afford a mac, but want to familiarize yourself with the OSX experience, I think this will help you out.
    Oh you Mac hater! icon_twisted.gif

Try this one for a Mac substitute instead. icon_lol.gif
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    dynamik wrote:

I got a good laugh out of that one. As a side note, check out the minimum system requirements for that link to the toy keyboard:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows Vista™
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Just go read Apple's documentation about OS X.

Oh wait, nevermind, it sucks and is basically useless for system administration.
  • hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    KGhaleon wrote:
    So a lot of jobs in my area require that I know how to troubleshoot and work with Apple software, mainly OSX. Are there any videos or video podcasts that show you how to perform tasks that you would generally do in a windows environment...how to join to a domain, share files, manage users, etc?

I have the time. :o
    Money to purchase a Mac and teach myself, I have not.
    You could get a free trail from Lynda.com for 7 days and check their products out for Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server. Google "Lynda.com 7 day trial". Ive left a link below which is a 7 day trial but Id say if you want to do it again afterwards you could just google the phrase above and get another trial using a different referal keyword an put it on a different email address.

http://www.lynda.com/IDsecrets/
    Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Essential Training - 7.25 hours long
    Mac OS X Server 10.5 Leopard Essential Training - 11 hours long
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    No videos...

But these are what I used. I actually had 1 on 1 training session from the author of the second book... He trains all apple employees and many contractors who are "high end" customers. The only reason he doesnt publish his own books anymore is due to that he is employee'd by Apple now.

Great books, even better person to work with!

Schoun Regan

Mac OS X Advanced System Administration v10.5
    Author: Edward R Marczak
    Mac OS X Server Essentials Second Edition (10.5)
    Author: Schoun Regan