Options

Substitution routers for voice

I use 2600 series routers for voice in school, and they pretty much have everything, of course, but they're very pricey. I've been told I could either make some kind of port/module substitutions to reduce cost and do the same thing, or go with a different router - like the 1760 series and use a switch. Has anyone gone this route?

Finding the right router is half the trick; getting the right ports and modules is also tricky. I want to use IP phones, naturally, but I also need to use analog phones, which necessarily require FXS ports, and an eBay search of "router" and "FXS" yielded nothing, really. I would need a T1 port in order to simulate crossing a PSTN to a different router (right?), and I'd need the usual fast ethernet/serial ports. I have a feeling that a router with all this is going to be not-cheap, and I have yet to see one with all these options offered on eBay that wasn't quite expensive. However - if I need to, I'll spend it. I just don't need a Cadillac.

One other issue - I'll need to use CME (now) and CallManager (later). How do I obtain these if they're not on the routers? I'm trying to educate myself here. Thanks.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Various configuration have been discussed before in the forum -- check the Home Lab Links in the CCVP FAQ.

MC3810s are still the cheapest All-In-One-Solution when you can find them on eBay.

This link from the Hardware Documentation Links section of the CCVP FAQ is your All-In-One-Stop for researching Supported Interfaces and Routers.
    icon_exclaim.gifVoice Hardware Compatibility Matrix (Cisco 17/26/28/36/37/38xx, VG200, icon_cat.gif 4500/4000, icon_cat.gif 6xxx)

A 1721, 1751, 1760 router can use a Voice WAN Interface Cards (VWICs) without Network Modules. A 1750 can't.

1750, 1751, and 1760 routers can use VICs without Network Modules. A 1721 can't.

Then it goes into the VICs and the Modules they can go in on which router.... etc.

This doc covers the Cisco 17xx, VG200, 26xx, 2800, ICS 7750, 36xx, 37xx, and 38xx platforms -- with the 17xx, 26xx, and 36xx being the least expensive.

The 38xx platforms here are not the MC3810s -- 2 different animals.
    One other issue - I'll need to use CME (now) and CallManager (later). How do I obtain these if they're not on the routers? I'm trying to educate myself here. Thanks.
    There aren't any newer answers to your question since you last asked in this thread http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31687
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!