Failed A+ Core Exam

Bravo5Bravo5 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
icon_sad.gif I took the Core exam this a.m. and failed with a score of 490. I was a little upset icon_evil.gif . I saw some questions I understood but I didn't understand the answers. icon_confused.gif: I blamed the books at first but when I checked them later they had the answers icon_redface.gif ! So this was my learning experience and I am thankful. I now have a good feel for what I need to study now that I have "seen the elephant".
The good news is that I realize I have a good grasp on the subject matter but need to take it to the "next level".
Questions I had problems with icon_eek.gif :
Full and Half- Duplex Transmission. I freaked on this one! A duplex? What the hell is a duplex? I thought they were houses! :D

IEEE1284. Never heard of it! Looked in my Exam Cram 2 (I knew they didn't mention it in there) and ......ooops! There it is..."commonly called a parallel printer cable.....". What a shmuck icon_rolleyes.gif !

To ESD or to unplug, that is the question. I think I chose ESD first. Not a good idea.

That's it for now. I am setting a time frame of two weeks. to try it again. I would appreciate any brow beating and or advice. Thanks.
"You will not laugh, you will not cry!
You will learn by the numbers. I will teach you!"

Comments

• bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    first of all, sorry to hear about your fail, but now you know what to expect and realise some areas you need to brush-up on. if you study well, i am sure you will pass the next time.

have you downloaded the exam objectives from the comptia website? i would sugges doing this and marking against the objectives that you are less-sure of, and working on them. take some good practise tests and print off another copy of the objectives marking what you answered poorly on. over a period of a few weeks you will find you are marking less, if at all!

half-duplex is where data can only travel in one direction at a time (say a network cable), whereas full-duplex is where data can travel in both directions at the same time.

or, with soundcards. a half-duplex can not record at the same time as it plays sound.
    A+ Moderator
  • Bravo5Bravo5 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    have you downloaded the exam objectives from the comptia website?

Yes and I have already marked the ones I need to work on. Thanks. More to follow. icon_thumright.gif
    "You will not laugh, you will not cry!
    You will learn by the numbers. I will teach you!"
  • tzoellicktzoellick Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    One of the best analogies that I've heard to explain Full and half duplex:

Say you're talking with your friend.
    half duplex is like talking over walkie-talkie - only one of you can speak at a time.
    full duplex is like talking over a telephone - you can both speak at the same time - although this is rude!

I'm studying for both A+ tests and have ordered my vouchers...I wish you luck on your next try!