Finding a .tar file using TFTP

I was supposed to find a specific filename on my teacher's computer from a different room; she indicated that I only needed her computer name and I should be able to get it. I do have the name (for example, "XYZ-02"). I had no idea where to begin after she left - I never TFTP, so I'm not up on it. I wasn't given an IP address, so I was feeling like an idiot or like I was failing some kind of Mensa test. Can anyone make a recommendation?
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    Windows has built-in TFTP client if you use the command line...

C:\>tftp

then you get a display of all the commands

Also you can download a TFTP client from the internet.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    There is a plethora of stuffy you can do to get what ever file she has on her computer. ( especially if its an MS box)... But you can use the tftp client MS has built in, just instead of an IP address use the Name.. ( DNS will resolve) and pull what ever file you need. Hope this helps, if not please be more specific on what exactly you want to do...

Here is MS page on there TFTP server.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491014.aspx
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    I was supposed to find a specific filename on my teacher's computer from a different room; she indicated that I only needed her computer name and I should be able to get it. I do have the name (for example, "XYZ-02"). I had no idea where to begin after she left - I never TFTP, so I'm not up on it. I wasn't given an IP address, so I was feeling like an idiot or like I was failing some kind of Mensa test. Can anyone make a recommendation?

Crunchyhippo,

What kind of networking device are you trying to TFTP from?
    1. A host?
    2. A networking device?
    3. Other?
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389

Crunchyhippo,

1. A host?
    2. A networking device?
    3. Other?

I'm on a host, connected to a 2600 voice router. It's in a different room from where the instructor's computer is.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953

Crunchyhippo,

1. A host?
    2. A networking device?
    3. Other?

I'm on a host, connected to a 2600 voice router. It's in a different room from where the instructor's computer is.

Crunchyhippo,

What is the "XYZ-02" file for?

Crunchyhippo,

1. A host?
    2. A networking device?
    3. Other?

Crunchyhippo,

What is the "XYZ-02" file for?

Just filler; her computer is CMA-329 or something.
    Goldmember wrote:
    Windows has built-in TFTP client if you use the command line...

C:\>tftp

then you get a display of all the commands

Does not work.

All it says is "Cannot find file fill-in-the-blank", no matter what I put in after TFTP.

Btw, when I'm trying to get a file off a remote computer like this, do I type my commands from the command prompt, the browser address bar, or the hyperterminal? As you can see, the instructor did little to help us out with this. She's so many light-years ahead of us, the idea of not knowing exactly how to TFTP is beyond her.

I still can't figure out how to get the file I need off my teacher's computer via TFTP, and I've been at this for a week. icon_mad.gif
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    First - is the file bigger then 33 Mb??

Second, follow these directions.
    Start>run>cmd
    Then type < tftp /? > enter
    READ this it might help you understand what you are trying to do.

If you are still having problems, I will set up give you the exact commands when I get home.. Need to test its been a while since I used Windows TFTP... ( File size problems - so I don't use it)
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.