Book Suggestions - Study Guides

NarshaddaNarshadda Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am new to the forum and had a few questions on study guides and books to read.

I have already purchased the following:

Security+ In Depth - Thomson Course Technology (Cisco Learning Institute) ISBN: 1592000649

Security+ Exam Cram2 - QUE Certification ISBN: 0789729105

Security+ Study Guide & DVD Training System - Syngress ISBN: 1931836728

I have read that the TCAT Inside Scoop is the best thing to get but what are everyone's opinions on the material I currently have?

Thank you,
Enrique

Comments

• /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Not sure about the material you have already, but I would say that Tcat's book is essential. If you have the cash, I would highly recommend getting it.
  • PSUalumPSUalum Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can't speak for the Security+ In Depth book, but I can comment on the others.

First, the EC2 book is pretty good. I used it to pass Sec+ last month, but it is lacking in some areas of subject matter. The Syngress guide I did not use, but have seen other posts where many have used it, said it was also pretty good, but that the DVD Training System bites.

I think you have two good resources, but the one you really need is TCat's full 700-page PDF that you have been reading about (which is the Inside Scoop publication). I used it and found it to be the most complete of the three resources I studied from.

You can get his publication in PDF format at studyexam4less and is going for less than half of what the book is on Amazon (Last I checked, $39.00). I also purchased his test sim ($34.00). His new test sim was added to that this past February, so its definitely more up to date than what you get with the printed book. The test sim does not come with the downloadable PDF, but does come with the book. You do get a written sample exam with the downloadable PDF. Both of these combined was still less than if I bought the book from Amazon.

Thats my two cents, hope that helps.

Cheers!
  • NarshaddaNarshadda Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice.. I just went ahead and bought the TCAT pdf..

I really appreciate the advice, so far it is much easier to read than any of the other books I have.
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Narshadda wrote:
    Thanks for the advice.. I just went ahead and bought the TCAT pdf..

I really appreciate the advice, so far it is much easier to read than any of the other books I have.

Narshadda,

I used the Security+ Study guide & DVD training system from Syngress...its a big orgish red book...The DVD is ok for a quick run through of the high points.....The book itself was great and easy to read. I hope this helps..
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA