Options

A good PoE switch

So what's the lowest priced PoE switch one can find on eBay? I, too, would like to reduce clutter and get something a little more advanced if possible, while I have a little money in my pocket.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    3524-pwr-xl-en is probably the cheapest, but it lacks alot of QoS features.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    Cisco Catalyst Express 520-8PC-K9 Switch

It is pretty new.... so have fun on e-bay...
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The lowest price WS-CE520-8PC-K9 on ebay is $857 -- so I don't think it's in the running for "lowest price" icon_lol.gif

A 3550-PWR would let you power your IP Phones (and reduce power cube clutter) and do the QoS for voice.

I do use a couple WS-3524-PWR-XL-EN switches in my voice lab to power my IP Phones, since my 3550-PWR is currently configured in my R&S rack.

The NM-ESW-16-PWR is another option if you have a router laying around with an open NM slot -- it may be less $ than the 3550-PWR, but it's way more $ than a 3524-PWR.

But even with the 3524-PWR, you'd have to hate clutter a whole lot (and not mind the fan noise) since using power cubes for your IP Phones would still be cheaper.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    mikej412 wrote:
    A 3550-PWR would let you power your IP Phones (and reduce power cube clutter) and do the QoS for voice.

I saw plenty of 3550 switches on eBay, but the "PWR" part wasn't on any of them. What does that mean exactly? Would any 3550 switch enable PoE?
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    the PWR means that it is a PoE switch. If the model name doesn't have PWR, it isn't one.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    Yikes! I just checked prices again on eBay - nevermind about that 3550 switch - way too pricey for me right now. Guess I'll have to use a power cube.