lol @ beast, jr

colebertcolebert Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
passed today w/ 850.

i thought this test was slightly more difficult (to me) than 291. i used nearly all my time (12 minutes remaining) and was much more uncertain of if i passed than i was with 291. but i scored 60 points better on this one than 291. go figure.

PKI, IPSec, SMB, and Routing junk all over the place. Very few DNS related questions was the most noticable feature of this exam. But everyone is right about there being some conceptual overlap here. Had about 4 sims... thought I was going to get away with only two but the final two question were both sims.

I used CBTNuggest and Syngress books to study. I had my VMWare lab, but I didn't make much use of it as I did for 291.

On to 294!

Comments

• JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    Congrats on the pass, and thanks for the review of topics!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass, that's a great review of your experience with the exam.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • colebertcolebert Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ah, i can do better review. i was pressed for time.

first, the standard Prometric screw-up came early. my testing id was totally wrong. i kept entering it at the beginning and it wouldn't take. apparently they had given me a new id but still had my old one registered for the test. also, now prometric requires you to sign in AND out.

One quirky thing that might help some people is to look up the Active Directory Extensions thingies for Windows98 AND know how the Netbios flags (e.g, 0xicon_cool.gif work in DHCP.

Oh... and remember: If a primary DNS server is online and does not have info on a name, the client will NOT check the secondary for that info... it will just fail. So you can't setup your primary as your internal DNS server and your secondary as your external DNS server.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    colebert wrote:
    first, the standard Prometric screw-up came early.

It's no longer a question of if; now it's just when. icon_lol.gif
  • hannoshannos Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    colebert wrote:
    Oh... and remember: If a primary DNS server is online and does not have info on a name, the client will NOT check the secondary for that info... it will just fail. So you can't setup your primary as your internal DNS server and your secondary as your external DNS server.

As far as I know the Secondary DNS server is only used when the Primary cannot be contacted.
  • colebertcolebert Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hannos wrote:
    colebert wrote:

As far as I know the Secondary DNS server is only used when the Primary cannot be contacted.

Exactly. The reason I mention it is because on a couple MS tests I have seen them ask to you create a DNS arrangement and it's tempting to create something that uses your primary for one type of query and your secondary for different queries. If you're trying to figure stuff out on the fly while taking the test, it's good to know that it won't work.

It's a little counter-intuitive to think the secondary wouldn't fill in for the primary when the primary doesn't know the answer.