CTT+

eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
Can anyone recommend a good training guide for the CTT+?

I can't seem to find much on it....I also attempted to register with one training provider recommended by CompTIA who then pulled a bait and switch on me in terms of the dates and city in which the class was offered.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wish I could. I ordered the CompTIA guide, which looks like it's just the course packet. I also ordered the material from Element K (listed on the CompTIA) website, and that turned out to simply be the instructor packet. Maybe I missed something, but I was under the impression that these would be better resources. I really haven't dug deep enough into these to know if they will be sufficient for the written portion of the exam or not. I'm also looking at getting the developing technical training book by this author. It's new and hasn't gotten any reviews yet, but her other books have done well. Again, I'm not sure how applicable that will be to the actual exam; it just looked good at first glance.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not sure if the certification is anything like it was before CompTIA bought it from Chauncey but it was based on the 12 competencies and there was a book from Chauncey. This may help point you in *some* direction, I haven't looked into the certification in 4 or so years.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd be interested in seeing the volume of people testing for and achieving the CTT+.

Does anyone know if CompTIA releases such information and how to get it?

MS
    I know MS and Cisco release their numbers, but I've never seen anything from CompTIA. I looked around their site and did a few google queries just to double-check, but I didn't come up with anything.
    It must be really low volume...I just can't believe that there is a certification out there that is in high demand that someone hasn't produced a comprehensive book about...

MS
    The nature of this certification changes things quite a bit though. I feel like CompTIA really desires people to take a course for this one, which makes sense. You will learn speaking and instructional skills much better in a classroom setting than from a book. This isn't a certification for writing technical documentation.

Like you said, you need to take the number of people into account as well. It may not be worthwhile for others to develop resources for. Think of the number of people going for the CTT+ compared to the A+. I'm just guessing, but it's probably only a few percent, if that. However, the CTT+ seems to be a credible certification since other vendors recognize it (i.e. Microsoft accepts it for their MCT certification).
    I tried to take a course from a provider recommended by CompTIA.

This particular provider posted a training schedule, and I signed up and paid for a class that should be starting on 2/25....

However, when my registration was processed, they put me in a another class in another city during a different date range. The person working indicated, "oh, we never actually hold class you signed up for in that city...". I equate this to a classic bait and switch...they offered and accepted my registration and payment for the class at one specific time in one specific place, and then immediately moved me to another class at a different time.

This occurred in early January 2008 (it's not as if I was trying to do it at the last minute)....this particular training provider was very unprofessional during the registration process, and I had to threaten legal action to receive a full refund ($1895 I think, they wanted to keep a "processing fee"). I could not attend the other classes that they said would actually run because the timing didn't work, and this particular provider's handling of the registration process did not make me feel the most confident about their ability to actually deliver useful training...

There aren't a lot of options for this training...it seems like most of the providers that CompTIA offers on their site are questionable at best.

I've been asking some people on LinkedIn about it, and I am getting some good responses about how to accomplish the CTT+.

Does anyone know of a legitimate (and professional) training provider that offers courses around completing the CTT+?

Thanks,

MS
    I think the reason the CTT is low volume is because most people will go for a "Train the trainer" course which in most cases is a guaranteed pass. The CTT is two parts a written and a video presentation and when you take a "Train the trainer" they will basically give you the pass on the video part even if you screw it up badly (I've seen it happen). You still need to pass the written but it was mostly common sense type questions.
  • benjudybenjudy Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took my CTT+ computer-based test this morning. I scored 888 which means I think I only missed one or two questions.

I studied with practice exam software from one of the online vendors. I tried providing a link and the name of the vendor in this post, but apparently there are spam filters in place which just x'ed it out... spam filters are great, but not when they filter out valid content!

Anyway, I also read the book "How to be a Successful Technical Trainer" by Terrance Keys & Andrew R. Zeff. It was helpful, but I would credit most of my success to the practice exam software.

I am pursuing CTT+ on my own as well, without using one of the "train the trainer" schools. They are just too expensive for me to consider a good option. Somebody's making a killing, though!

So now I'm off to prepare for my video presentation. Based on things I've read on this forum and around the Net, I'm rather nervous. I get the sense that even if I put in my best effort I may not pass the video evaluation.

I have no experience with a training provider such as the one eMeS dealt with, but I'm forming an opinion that the whole thing is a racket. If indeed CompTIA grades individual submissions differently than those who went through some $1900 course, I'd like to see some investigating done. Sounds like a consumer rights issue to me.

Or, CompTIA just needs to be honest and make it policy that you have to be trained by one of their approved providers in order to attain the certification. Which would pretty well put it out of the realm of possibility for the little guy like me who doesn't have a lot of cash but is trying to better himself by earning a few cert's.

I'm really interested in hearing from anyone else who has prepared, shot and submitted their own video. Do I even have a chance? Or will they just toss mine in the "rejected" pile if I don't have the magic stamp on my forms?
    Is this the exam simulator you used: http://www.fka.com/software-cttes.asp

A URL is usually only censored if it's a known **** site. That's the only exam simulator listed on CompTIA's training materials section: http://certification.comptia.org/resources/find_materials.aspx

I haven't seen CTT+ simulators from Transcender, MeasureUp, Self Test Software, Prep Logic, etc.

I think DT meant that some of the instructors for the train-the-trainer are too lenient with the grading. I don't think he's implying that CompTIA is running a racket.
    dynamik, thanks for the reply. No, the FKA simulator isn't the one I used. I'm pretty sure the one I used isn't from any kind of **** site.

This comment confuses me:
    I think DT meant that some of the instructors for the train-the-trainer are too lenient with the grading. I don't think he's implying that CompTIA is running a racket.

Because I don't know how else to interpret dtlokee's comment:
    when you take a "Train the trainer" they will basically give you the pass on the video part even if you screw it up badly (I've seen it happen).

There may not be any sort of "racket" here in terms of legality. But my point is, from what I'm hearing, it doesn't sound like I have the same chance of passing as someone who can afford to pay a lot more money to a training center. Anyway, here's what I want to know: who will grade my video?

I read this in the CompTIA CTT+ Candidate Handbook of Information, page 22:
    Who Scores the Videos and the Video Documentation Forms?

To qualify as a CompTIA CTT+ scoring judge, the three following requirements must be met:

1. Must be an experienced instructor or professional trainer and have demonstrated competency by having earned CompTIA CTT+ certification.

2. Must attend CompTIA CTT+ scoring workshops to be thoroughly trained on the standards, and must attend recalibration sessions throughout the year.

3. Must demonstrate ability to score sample CompTIA CTT+ videos and Video Documentation Forms accurately and fairly, according to the standards set by the CompTIA CTT+ committee.

As a group, the CompTIA CTT+ scoring judges are ethnically diverse, include both men and women, and have a variety of instructional backgrounds.

Statistical analysts continually monitor the scoring reliability of all the scoring judges. Any scoring judge who is not scoring reliably will receive additional training. However, because of the importance of CompTIA CTT+ certification, if a scoring judge cannot maintain the high-scoring standard required for this program, he or she will not be allowed to continue in the capacity as a CompTIA CTT+ scoring judge.

To me, that sounds like there is some sort of objective oversight of the video scoring to ensure the scorers are consistent. All well and good, except they don't go into their definition of "reliability". So I really have no idea what any of the above means to me, the guy preparing his own class and shooting his own video.

When I add to this the (admittedly anectodal) evidence that I am hearing about people who submit a video on their own being rejected, while practically anyone who shells out $1900 will pass... it sure sounds *to me* like a racket.

It sounds like if you play ball and pay some trainer way more than you should for a weekend course, "scoring reliability" comes into play -- you pass. If you don't go through a train-the-trainer center, "scoring reliability" works against you. In some circles we call this "the buddy system".

I don't really know if this is the case, but I wasn't born yesterday. I do know that money makes the world go 'round. I guess I'll just shoot my video and keep hoping for the best...
    I found this link on CompTIA's site:

http://www.prepmasters.com/online_certification/ctt_distance_learning.php

Anyone know anything about "PrepMasters" in general, or anything specific about this course offering?

MS
    benjudy wrote:
    I studied with practice exam software from one of the online vendors. I tried providing a link and the name of the vendor in this post, but apparently there are spam filters in place which just x'ed it out... spam filters are great, but not when they filter out valid content!

Most likely the reason it was xxxxx'd out is because it's a site known to provides ****, did you seem to notice the questions were the exact same ones you saw on the exam?

Yes I infered that there is some funny business going on at some train the trainer courses that I have heard about. They basically just make sure to tell you what you did wrong and as long as you understand say you will correct it they will let it slide. CTT+ and a train the trainer program are not the same thing, but they are both recognized by companies like Microsoft for their training certifications. I am sure some of them are better than others but when it's up to the instructor running the TTT to provide the reviews of the students in the class it's sort of like the fox guarding the hen house.

rant_off();
    dtlokee: Hmmm... I actually did notice some of the same questions. I'm reading other things around the Net now about dumping. I guess I'm sort of naive -- I didn't realize I had actually gotten a hold of the real tests.

This was my first certification test. I guess I have a lot to learn about how the whole thing works.

Although, as I used the tests to prepare myself, I took about six sample tests and passed every one of them. So I suppose I didn't really get an unfair advantage; I already knew enough to pass the test. Now that I think about it, I wish I'd saved myself some money and time and just gone and taken the test earlier! I just lacked confidence. But a good lesson learned. I'll be more careful about where I get my cert test prep material.
    I purchased CompTIA's "book" for the CTT+ available at https://store.comptia.org/product.aspx?product=CP_CTT_14333

It's hard to call this a "book"...as somone else indicated, it's more like what you would receive as part of a class.

After reading through it, it appears that from prior experience teaching technical classes that I have the knowledge I need to sit this exam.

My major concern at this point is the lack of clarity on the video portion of the exam.....if I script and submit one on my own am I wasting my time? "Scripting", rather than taping a live training session seems to be what is required here (how else would one hit all of the requirements in 20 minutes?).

I think I am going to give it a shot anyway...will report back once I know more.

MS
    Passed the CBT portion today with a 745.

Prepped by reading the useless (in my opinion) CompTIA book at https://store.comptia.org/product.aspx?product=CP_CTT_14333 , prior experience speaking and presenting, and prior technical training experience. There's not a lot of material available for this one.

MS
    Congrats on passing the CBT, MS!

I agree with your description. There really isn't a sure-fire way to prep for this test, you mostly just have to go with what you know. I think it helps to carefully review the IBSTPI CTT competencies, and it helps to be a good multiple-choice test-taker.

From the CompTIA CTT+ Candidate Handbook of Information:
    The CompTIA CTT+ certification provides recognition that the trainer has attained a standard of excellence as defined by training experts.

The CompTIA CTT+ examination measures an individual’s mastery of fundamental instructor knowledge and classroom performance as defined by objectives developed from a cross-industry Job Task Analysis.

So the scope of knowledge being measured is rather vague making this a challenging certification, indeed.

Let's keep in touch as we prepare to record our videos for the 2nd half of the cert. I'm currently preparing my class outline and presentation materials. I'm going to script and rehearse pretty thoroughly and rely on the Candidate Handbook guidelines. I'll just take my best shot at demonstrating all of the objectives in 20 minutes and see what they think. I'll probably submit my video some time in May and I'll report what happens here.
    benjudy wrote:
    Congrats on passing the CBT, MS!

I agree with your description. There really isn't a sure-fire way to prep for this test, you mostly just have to go with what you know. I think it helps to carefully review the IBSTPI CTT competencies, and it helps to be a good multiple-choice test-taker.

From the CompTIA CTT+ Candidate Handbook of Information:
    The CompTIA CTT+ certification provides recognition that the trainer has attained a standard of excellence as defined by training experts.

The CompTIA CTT+ examination measures an individual’s mastery of fundamental instructor knowledge and classroom performance as defined by objectives developed from a cross-industry Job Task Analysis.

So the scope of knowledge being measured is rather vague making this a challenging certification, indeed.

Let's keep in touch as we prepare to record our videos for the 2nd half of the cert. I'm currently preparing my class outline and presentation materials. I'm going to script and rehearse pretty thoroughly and rely on the Candidate Handbook guidelines. I'll just take my best shot at demonstrating all of the objectives in 20 minutes and see what they think. I'll probably submit my video some time in May and I'll report what happens here.

Sounds good...I would like to keep in touch with you. I will be taping and submitting my video within the next week. I'm using a slightly customized section from a course that I already deliver.

MS
    eMeS wrote:
    Sounds good...I would like to keep in touch with you. I will be taping and submitting my video within the next week. I'm using a slightly customized section from a course that I already deliver.

You're making this available on youtube, right?

You both should make videos on the CTT+, so I can have access to better resources than that crummy CompTIA packet. :D
    dynamik wrote:
    eMeS wrote:

You're making this available on youtube, right?

You both should make videos on the CTT+, so I can have access to better resources than that crummy CompTIA packet. :D

I'll happily share mine with a small committed group like this one, but I'm not really that keen on it being on YouTube, primarily due to the nature of the material....Availability Management specific to financial services organizations.

Of course, I know if my video gets released in the wild that there is very little I can do to keep it off of YouTube....

MS
    eMeS wrote:
    ...primarily due to the nature of the material....Availability Management specific to financial services organizations.

That does sound pretty risqué. I can see why you'd want to keep it out of the hands of children.
    I'll also provide my video to those who want it, although probably on my own site vs. YouTube for the world to see. My course may include internal tools & processes specific to my employer. Nothing really sensitive, but I'd prefer to retain some control over who sees it.
    Okay, changing course. Decided to go with Prepmasters rather than shoot the video myself. I'll let you all know how it goes...
    I just completed the filming of the video at PrepMasters. Briefly, I can say the the knowledge taught at PrepMasters exceeds the cost of the course. It was a good experience, I learned a lot and finished my video. I will post a full report later.

MS
  • sinceregenesissinceregenesis Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    1) Took a train the trainer class from NetCom Information Technology in NYC. My company paid for it, otherwise I never would have bothered. NYC is a nice place to visit though. :)
    2) The class did almost nothing to prep you for the exam. They went over the example questions CompTIA gives you on their site and that was it.
    3) We spent 3 days practicing and shooting videos of varying lengths, up to the 20 minute mark. This had some benefits, but was largely a waste of time for anyone who has done training before, as I had.
    4) Overall, I would not reccomend anyone take this type of class at least from this company.
    5) I entered CTT+ in ebay and bought a practice test bank for something like 8 dollars. It was right on the actual exam. It is called ****. I don't know if I bought warez or an older test pool, but it was great.
    6) I passed my CBTest with an 851. I don't know how this equates to a percentage of questions, but I feel like I missed maybe 10 or so. The most difficult kind of question IMO is the type where you decide whether the action makes the result likely or unlikely, because some of them were a crap shoot. Everything else is pretty much based on common sense.
    7) I sent off my tape. I'm a little ancy because my instructor accidentally stopped the tape midway and then resumed a few seconds later. I included verification of this. Who knows.

Good luck to you all.
    1) Took a train the trainer class from NetCom Information Technology in NYC. My company paid for it, otherwise I never would have bothered. NYC is a nice place to visit though. :)
    2) The class did almost nothing to prep you for the exam. They went over the example questions CompTIA gives you on their site and that was it.
    3) We spent 3 days practicing and shooting videos of varying lengths, up to the 20 minute mark. This had some benefits, but was largely a waste of time for anyone who has done training before, as I had.
    4) Overall, I would not reccomend anyone take this type of class at least from this company.
    5) I entered CTT+ in ebay and bought a practice test bank for something like 8 dollars. It was right on the actual exam. It is called xxxxxxxxxxxx. I don't know if I bought warez or an older test pool, but it was great.
    6) I passed my CBTest with an 851. I don't know how this equates to a percentage of questions, but I feel like I missed maybe 10 or so. The most difficult kind of question IMO is the type where you decide whether the action makes the result likely or unlikely, because some of them were a crap shoot. Everything else is pretty much based on common sense.
    7) I sent off my tape. I'm a little ancy because my instructor accidentally stopped the tape midway and then resumed a few seconds later. I included verification of this. Who knows.

Good luck to you all.

You purchased a **** from eBay, which isn't a very popular behavior on this site.

Best of luck on your VBT grading.

MS
    My apologies that I haven't had time to post about my experience with PrepMasters. Too many irons in the fire, and I'm trying to get ready for a trip to Chicago tomorrow.

Here goes...

http://www.prepmasters.com/train_the_trainer.php

I used PrepMasters for the VBT portion of my CTT+. The offer both CTT+ and Train the Trainer classes. My experience was positive. If you are seeking the CTT+, your money is well spent at PrepMasters.

Some key points:

What worked well for me was that they class was delivered over a weekend. This meant that I didn't have to take time away from earning to complete the class.

The class is not just about passing the CTT+. I think that most people that attend this class are experienced trainers. However, the class teaches some really useful techniques for using media, and generating and maintaining student interest. Quite a bit of time is spent presenting and practices various interaction techniques, which I found both refreshing and useful.

The enrollment process is well-designed, and as a student you are supported every step of the way. You are expected to have completed quite a bit of work prior to the class. PrepMasters has arranged this work into an easy to follow process.

Sample videos are provided, which give you an idea of what to expect when you actually film your CTT+ video, and what is expected to occur during the 20 minute video.

When you complete the class you have a ready to submit video for the CTT+. You are also provided guidance on completing the CTT+ submission form.

After the class, PrepMasters have been very supportive, and have quickly answered any questions that I had. They even encourage that class members remain in contact as a means of ensuring that each attendee has implemented some of the things that they've learned in real training classes.

During the class, the instructor indicated that the VBT portion has a 50% failure rate. This is because people don't understand exactly what CompTIA is judging in their videos, or they simply film and submit any 20 minute portion of training. In any event, at least half of the people that submit a video fail because they are not providing evidence of what CompTIA wants to see. PrepMasters helps you to learn what CompTIA wants to see, why it is important that they see it, the effect that it has on learners, and then ensures that you get these things into your video.

My experience with PrepMasters was the polar opposite of the initial experience that I had when I attempted to enroll at another training provider recommended by CompTIA.

I highly recommend PrepMasters...not only do you get a complete video for submission and preparation for the CBT, you also learn useful techniques that will make you a more interesting and successful trainer.

MS
    Submitted my CTT+ VBT package recently....I received the following note from CompTIA today:
    Thank you for your interest in the CompTIA CTT+ Certification Program.

The administration of the scoring of the Video Based Testing portion of this certification program has been conducted by Prometric for a number of years.

During this time, the interest in the certification, measured by the number of submission, has been fairly steady.

During the last 2 months, as the value of the certification has been recognized by a growing number of employers, the number of people seeking certification has grown significantly.

In some cases, the number of submissions that have been received in the past 2 months is almost triple the normal volume.

Unfortunately during this time period, the number of individuals qualified, approved, and trained by Prometric to score these submissions has dropped, due to retirement, personal tragedy, and other reasons.

While we work to grow the number of individuals trained to score submissions like yours, they will not be ready to score actual submissions in the next 60 days. The length of the training and observation period is to ensure that the high standards of the judges are maintained.

When these factors are taken into account as a group, the outcome is submissions that have been received in the past 8-10 weeks are not being scored in the timeframe setout by the CompTIA Candidate Handbook of Information, which states that submissions are scored within 2 to 3 weeks.

We are confident that submissions already received, and those received between now and when the additional scorers are available to score actual submissions, will be scored in 8 to 10 weeks from receipt of the complete application.

Thank you again for your interest in the certification and your continued patience.

If you have any questions pertaining to your individual submission, please reply to cttops@prometric.com

And allow for 24-48 hours for a response.
    I just went through the Prepmasters workshop for the VBT portion of CTT+.

Everything written by eMeS in this thread aligns with my experience. I really don't have to write much of a review, I can just say "ditto".

Now that I've done it, I think it was a good idea to use Prepmasters to shoot the video. If I had done it myself I probably would have left out one little thing the graders will be looking for, perhaps not enough of the right kind of student interaction.

The Master Trainer ran the workshop effectively. Overall I think it was worth the time and expense to use this workshop to help me record my video and prepare to submit it.

I'll post again when I get my score back from CompTIA.
    I'm loathe to bump an old thread...but I wanted to report that I received good news today. I passed the CTT+!

CompTIA sent the following score report:

4-1A: Review Learning Objectives and Match them to Learner and Organizational Needs
    4-1B: Create an Environment Conducive to Learning
    3-2A: Select and Implement Delivery Methods
    3-2B: Use Instructional Media
    4-3A: Demonstrate Professional Conduct and Content Expertise
    3-3B: Use Communication and Presentation Skills to Facilitate Learning
    4-4A: Establish and Maintain a Learner-Centered Environment
    3-4B: Use a Variety of Question Types and Techniques
    3-4C: Address Learner Needs for Additional Explanation and Encouragement
    4-4D: Motivate and Reinforce Learners
    4-5A: Evaluate Learner Performance Throughout the Training Event
    3-5B: Evaluate Trainer Performance and Delivery of Course

42 TOTAL SCORE

My thoughts about the CTT+ in general are the following:

1-The CBT portion was reasonably difficult, and there is a lack of good independent study material available.

2-It's difficult to know what needs to be in the VBT without working with someone that has done this before. I believe that many of the failures on this portion are caused by candidates filming and 20 minute portion of a training class, and submitting that.

3-The VBT portion was the most logistically confusing activity that I have done to date for any certification (and that's saying alot, since I have several ITIL certs!). It seemed to me that if every i wasn't dotted and every t wasn't crossed, then the submission was going to be sent back. For example, I initially submitted by video on CD in a format that CompTIA indicated was acceptable, only to receive a note 4 weeks after submission saying that the video was unacceptable.

That's all I have time for now...I

MS[/list]