The beast is slain!

disaster_pigeondisaster_pigeon Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
720, worst MCP pass score yet, but I'll take it! The test had more RRAS and security than I expected, I focused more on DNS and DHCP when I studied.
INCONCEIVABLE. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Comments

• royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. You won't see too much RRAS in real world as routing is typically done by Cisco/Nortel/Etc. devices. The same goes for DHCP Relays (DHCP IP Helper Address in your hardware routers). The only real benefit I see for RRAS would be VPN for very tiny businesses (which includes SSTP in Server 200icon_cool.gif.

DNS and DHCP, on the other hand, are much more widely used. So from a real world perspective, it's better to have spent more time on DNS and DHCP.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Gratz!

Would you mind saying how much previous exp. you had, what you used to study, and how long you prepared...im trying to gauge how long I'll need to prep.
  • disaster_pigeondisaster_pigeon Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You are correct about the RRAS royal, we use Cisco at my work and don't touch RRAS, so I didn't think it would be a big part on the exam because hardly anyone uses it.
    INCONCEIVABLE. You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
    Brad, I've got 6 months experience as a Jr. Network Engineer in a hosting/data center environment now, mostly Server 2k3 admin stuff with Cisco switch/router config duties. Previous to that no IT work experience; I've always been a techie, it just used to be more on the software development side. I used the Sybex book/MS Book and my VMWare test environment that I built for my MCSE studies (best investment you can make, if I build it myself I understand it). I prepared for this one for two months, maybe an hour a day average.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations. What's next? Are you going to tack on the A+ to get your MCSA or are you moving on to bigger and better things?
    293 is next. I am a glutton for punishment!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Very cool, congrats on killing the Beast. Good luck on 70-293, you'll have to let us know how you're doing on that path.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats!

I hope to be saying the same thing as you in the next few months here!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats :D
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • License2ILLLicense2ILL Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Congratulations. What's next? Are you going to tack on the A+ to get your MCSA or are you moving on to bigger and better things?

You can use an A+ for your MCSA? what would you need to complete in that case if so.?
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

You can use an A+ for your MCSA? what would you need to complete in that case if so.?

You need A+ and Net+ combo, then it counts as an elective. I don't have the link handy, but there is a place on CompTIA's site to submit your exam results to MS.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

You can apply the A+ and network+ (you have to get them both) toward an elective for the MCSA only, the MCSE is not included.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • colebertcolebert Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Security+ is way better elective choice for MS. If you're going to pay the money, you might as well do Sec+ than A+.
  • RS_MCPRS_MCP Member Posts: 352
    Congratulations! Good luck with the next one!
  • KrankKrank Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey congratulations, I have less than 1 week to prepare for my beast encounter, I hope I can slay it as you did.
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    colebert wrote:
    Security+ is way better elective choice for MS. If you're going to pay the money, you might as well do Sec+ than A+.

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I'd say 70-620 is the best elective. It's used as an elective for both MCSE and MCSA, is much cheaper, and you have two chances to pass. It is by far the easiest MS exam to use as an elective.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA