DHCP Relay Agent

What is a DHCP Relay Agent? I see it referenced in the MS book but really no explanation. A little help or link to explanation. Thank you
On the road to MCITP......

Comments

• snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What is a DHCP Relay Agent? I see it referenced in the MS book but really no explanation. A little help or link to explanation. Thank you

hey donald!

Alot of members studying on the boards are using this sticky for reference to the 291. I HIGHLY recommend you bookmark this page. Its very useful!

http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21736

there is even a section on DCHP that might explain the relay agent better than I could.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Essentially, DCHP relies on broadcasts, which routers do not typically forward. If you need to use DHCP through a router (i.e. DHCP server is on a different subnet), you need to configure a DHCP relay agent in order to get that to work.

Definitely check out the sticky as well.
  • donald7862003donald7862003 Member Posts: 128
    thanks for the help and the sticky is great but i get kind of lost in all the links. But I found a great definition here http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/w2k3/services/DHCP_Relay_Agent.htm

Again thank you guys for your help it really make it easier when someone explains it in different words than the book
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    Also remember there are 2 methods for forwarding DHCP broadcast to DHCP server on different subnet

DHCP relay agent
    and
    BOOTP forwarding

There are subtle differences but they accomplish the same thing.

DHCP relay agent specifies a DHCP server, whereas BOOTP forwarding just forwards DHCP broadcast traffic.

Good luck

I'm studying for 70-291 as we speak.

:)
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • donald7862003donald7862003 Member Posts: 128
    are you using the MSPRESS Book GoldMember
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    are you using the MSPRESS Book GoldMember

judging by the order of his posts over the days, yes, he is (as am I :) )
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    Yes!! I'm using the all knowing MS Press book.

I purchased the entire set (90 thru 94) so I will be using MS Press for all these tests.

I heard the 70-293 books isn't good but I will try it out.

I plan on taking the exam in 2 weeks. Keep posting and we can help each other.

:)
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills