Source for WSUS practice questions?

TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
From what I have seen of others who have taken the exam there tend to be a lot of WSUS questions despite it not being very covered in training materials or practice tests.

Does anyone know of a source for WSUS practice questions for the exam?

Comments

• Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Set it up, I know it sounds obvious but once you actually take the time to set it up and play with it you will see there is not that much to it. There are some similarities between SUS and WSUS as well.

Just make sure you download WSUS 2.0 if you can, I think that is the one covered on the exams. WSUS 3.0 just came out not too long ago and there are enough differences with it that I would stick to trying to use 2.0 for exam studying.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you just want a couple of questions to understand what kinds of things they may ask? Or are you honestly looking for a good batch of questions to test your knowledge of WSUS.

If the former, then I can probably make up a couple of questions just from the study material I have.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    I would prefer the latter but will take the former. icon_lol.gif I have the operations guide for 2.0 that is linked to on Royals sticky but would like to know what kind of questions to expect.
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Set it up, I know it sounds obvious but once you actually take the time to set it up and play with it you will see there is not that much to it. There are some similarities between SUS and WSUS as well.

Just make sure you download WSUS 2.0 if you can, I think that is the one covered on the exams. WSUS 3.0 just came out not too long ago and there are enough differences with it that I would stick to trying to use 2.0 for exam studying.

I kind of have to agree with Megadeth on this one. Its really a pretty simple product to deal with. Not too many options and nothing is really confusing about it. So i would have to 2nd installing it and just browsing through all the options available in it (there arent that many).
    Let's see how well I can do this...

Your the system administrator for CompanyA. You have client computers consisting of 500 Windows 2000 and Windows XP in a domain environment. All servers are running 2003. Other than the Windows 2000 workstations having SP3 installed on them, no patches have been installed throughout the domain. Each computer is a Dell workstation with the Dell administrator installed.

You need to configure automatic updates to all client machines in the domain per security requirements. The clients needs to be able to talk to the software update server and download and install updates during the night.

What do you need to do to fulfill this requirement?

A. Go to each computer and configure automatic updates on the client machines in the domain. Point them to the WSUS server to download updates at 12:00am to 6:00am.

B. Install the automatic updates client on all the machines in the domain. Configure each machine to use the WSUS server for their updates and set them to automatically download and install updates at 12:00am to 6:00am each night.

C. Configure a GPO and link it to all domain workstations throughout the domain. The GPO settings will configure each machine to use the WSUS server for their updates and set them to automatically download and install updates at 12:00am to 6:00am each night.

D. Setup a batching script and configure it to use the computer logon scripts in a GPO linked to all workstations in the domain. The script will edit the registry to use the WSUS server for their updates and set them to automatically download and install updates at 12:00am to 6:00am each night.

You may learn something!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's one of those things that would be difficult to answer questions about without ever using it, but if you load it up and click around for a bit, you'll get it quickly. Also be sure to familiarize yourself with the related GPO settings.
    C, I think

I've used WSUS at work but it is WSUS 3.0. Haven't messed much with 2.0 and yeah it seems pretty straight forward. BUT when I see people come back saying they had as many as 10 WSUS questions on the exam I'm thinking to myself "how difficult are these questions and how do I make sure I'm prepared for them?".

I just want to be sure that the WSUS questions I get on the exam are basically gimme points because if I can do that it will take some pressure off of how well I have to do in the other areas. Not that I'm not preparing hard on the other topics... but every little bit helps!
    I'll let anyone else chime in if they want to. If the question is weird dumb and confusing then I did a good job. ;)

You may learn something!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not enough unnecessary information. The Dell stuff was a good start, but you need another paragraph or two of fluff in there.

Also, I think you forgot the "with the least administrative effort" part. You can edit the registry on workstations to use WSUS, so according to your question, I don't think C would be the only correct answer.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    dynamik wrote:
    It's one of those things that would be difficult to answer questions about without ever using it, but if you load it up and click around for a bit, you'll get it quickly. Also be sure to familiarize yourself with the related GPO settings.

Oh, definitely know the associated GPO settings to use. Also you should probably know the default port for accessing WSUSAdmin and you might need to know about the Administrative Template(s) that you might have to work with.

I believe that the step by step guide goes over all of this.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3BA03939-A5A9-407B-A4B0-1290BA5182F8&displaylang=en
    The answer is B. Because patches are not rolled out to any of the workstations and 2000 definitely doesn't have any kind of automatic updates installed then you have to install the client before you can implement local settings, GPOs or registry settings.

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/08ede2e2-efa8-4e49-80b9-0fe20bcda2a71033.mspx?mfr=true

I added "Other than the Windows 2000 workstations having SP3 installed on them, no patches have been installed throughout the domain." to be entirely correct as the AU client can't be installed on SP 2 or below per the article.

You may learn something!
    So far I've been using Transcender and Measureup and it seems like they should have more WSUS questions considering how much emphasis it gets on the real exam.