CT begins BSCI final review...

cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
Finally.

I have finally gone through all the material in Cisco Press BSCI with heavy supplementation from Routing TCP/IP Volumes I and II. I would go so far as to say I easily spent more time in Routing TCP/IP Volumes I and II than I did in the BSCI book. This marks milestone number one in my CCNP preparation. Time to soak up little details I'm sure I have forgotten and find a way to commit them to memory. Time to recreate the labs I've managed to lose. Time to work on a different protocol every day to avoid having any one of them go stale on me again.

Let the review begin! :)

Comments

• c0d3_w0lfc0d3_w0lf Member Posts: 117
    Good luck man! You're in the home stretch now! (well...at least for BSCI, lol)

Hopefully you're not like me, and start having trouble studying once it comes to the final review x.x

In any case, keep us updated! Do you have a date set for when you plan to sit for this exam?
    There is nothing that cannot be acheived.
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, I'm feeling the review pains already. Motivation is dwindling right now, although I have learned a ton in the last two months that I've really been hitting this. I know I'll learn more as I review, and have new questions since I'm more competent than I was in round one. Hopefully I won't bog myself down, as I have a tendency to do. Time will tell. I hope to have passed this sucker in no more than 3 weeks. We will see.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    go over ISIS again. It's the most overlooked subject on the test and has enough questions to almost ensure a fail if you don't ace everything else.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • jezg76jezg76 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm going down the final stretch, as well. Hoping to reinforce BGP, multicast and route optimization in the next few weeks then give it a shot. I feel good with the routing protocols, but I always stress and doubt when I get close to testing time. My wife knows my routine well. :D
    policy-map type inspect TACO
    class type inspect BELL
    drop log
    This is the review schedule I hope to adhere to. Maybe I will be ready prior to the end of this.

Review Day BSCI Part
    3/24/2008 1, 3
    3/25/2008 2, 4
    3/26/2008 3, 5
    3/27/2008 4, 6
    3/28/2008 5, 7
    3/29/2008 6, 8
    3/30/2008 7, 1
    3/31/2008 8, 2
    4/1/2008 1, 3, 5
    4/2/2008 2, 4, 6
    4/3/2008 3, 5, 7
    4/4/2008 4, 6, 8
    4/5/2008 5, 7, 1
    4/6/2008 6, 8, 2
    4/7/2008 7, 1, 3
    4/8/2008 8, 2, 4
    4/9/2008 1, 3, 5, 7
    4/10/2008 2, 4, 6, 8
    4/11/2008 1, 3, 5, 7
    4/12/2008 2, 4, 6, 8
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's an interesting plan of attack. I assume those numbers are book chapters. Have you had good results with that strategy?
    dynamik wrote:
    That's an interesting plan of attack. I assume those numbers are book chapters. Have you had good results with that strategy?

Those are the book "Parts."

For example, Part 2 is EIGRP, which is Chapters 3 and 4.

I haven't used that strategy before. I just know the way I have done it in the past is that I would review the stuff from start to finish, resulting in forgetting the stuff at the beginning. I'm trying to spread it out and make sure it is repeated before I'm through the end of the review. Long term repeated exposure should yield better results.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Long term repeated exposure should yield better results.

Absolutely. I only commented because I have a psychology background, and I thought that looked like a good strategy. Please let us know how it works out for you.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good luck man!! I'm in the home stretch too and I may steal your plan.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
    Anyone have any other suggestions for a nice methodical review. The review I'm speaking of here is basically going through the "Do I Know This Already?" and the "Q & A" questions from the Cisco Press book. I am VERY comfortable with configuration portion of things as I have LIVED on the "router" (dynamips) for the last two months, configuring anything and everything I could think of as it relates to BSCI topics, and in fact I have probably exceeded the BSCI by a long shot in that regard. Just wondering how people go about review once they have read and labbed all the material.... I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall having to go back through "the book stuff" again and am REALLY losing motivation lately. Haven't studied in about 4 days I don't think and won't study tomorrow for sure.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just lab the important key concepts from the exam blueprint. Make sure you know how to both adjust routing protocol metrics (for all of the routing protocols on the exam) and also make sure you can redistribute them into each other as well.

Make sure you understand the fundamental differences between distance vector and link state protocols and be able to explain why each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Don't over-look ISIS. I know I sound like a broken recorder about it but it hurts more people than you'd think. If you've never seen ISIS it can get you.

Here is the exam blueprint from Cisco's site. Go down the list point by point and make sure you can do or identify whatever the tasks are.
    Cisco wrote:
    The following information provides general guidelines for the content likely to be included on the exam. However, other related topics may also appear on any specific delivery of the exam. In order to better reflect the contents of the exam and for clarity purposes the guidelines below may change at any time without notice.
    Implement EIGRP operations.

* Explain the functions and operations of EIGRP (e.g., DUAL).
    * Configure EIGRP routing. (e.g., Stub Routing, authentication, etc.)
    * Verify or troubleshoot EIGRP routing configurations.

Implement multiarea OSPF operations.

* Explain the functions and operations of multiarea OSPF.
    * Configure multiarea OSPF routing. (e.g., Stub, NSSA, authentication, etc.)
    * Verify or troubleshoot multiarea OSPF routing configurations.

Describe integrated IS-IS.

* Describe the features and benefits of integrated IS-IS.
    * Configure and verify integrated IS-IS.

Implement Cisco IOS routing features.

* Describe, configure or verify route redistribution between IP routing IGPs. (e.g., route-maps, default routes, etc.)
    * Describe, configure or verify route filtering (i.e., distribute-lists and passive interfaces).
    * Describe and configure DHCP services (e.g., Server, Client, IP helper address, etc.).

Implement BGP for enterprise ISP connectivity

* Describe the functions and operations of BGP.
    * Configure or verify BGP operation in a non-transit AS (e.g., authentication).
    * Configure BGP path selection. (i.e., Local Preference, AS Path, Weight or MED attributes).

Implement multicast forwarding.

* Describe IP Multicast (e.g., Layer-3 to Layer-2 mapping, IGMP, etc.).
    * Describe, configure, or verify IP multicast routing (i.e., PIM Sparse-Dense Mode).

Implement IPv6.

* Describe IPv6 addressing operations.
    * Describe IPv6 interoperation with IPv4.
    * Describe, configure or verify OSPF routing with IPv6 addressing.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    Yeah, I know what you mean about ISIS. I've squared off with ISIS a couple different times.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30423
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi man, Good luck on the exam. i hope it goes well.

That plan of attack is pretty good actually. ive never used it but it makes good sense. how have you found doing it like that so far? ive skimmed a few chapters of the ccent book in spare time and found that i sometimes forget like you have.

I too may steal your method icon_twisted.gif
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    POSTPONED.

My brain hurts.
    It is taking a break.
    So am I.
  • kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    if you have the exam cert guide try to do some practice questions so you know where you weak spots are.

Good Luck
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
    UPDATE: CT rises from the dead.

CT is slated to begin official BSCI review on Monday

Review Day BSCI Part
    4/7/2008 1, 3
    4/8/2008 2, 4
    4/9/2008 3, 5
    4/10/2008 4, 6
    4/11/2008 5, 7
    4/12/2008 6, 8
    4/13/2008 7, 1
    4/14/2008 8, 2
    4/152008 1, 3, 5
    4/16/2008 2, 4, 6
    4/17/2008 3, 5, 7
    4/18/2008 4, 6, 8
    4/19/2008 5, 7, 1
    4/20/2008 6, 8, 2
    4/21/2008 7, 1, 3
    4/22/2008 8, 2, 4
    4/23/2008 1, 3, 5, 7
    4/24/2008 2, 4, 6, 8
    4/25/2008 1, 3, 5, 7
    4/26/2008 2, 4, 6, 8
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good luck man! when are you planning on taking the test?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
    Probably the weekend following 4/26....We'll see. Maybe sooner if review is easy.

Hopefully I don't get burned out in review.