How to write good reports / assignments for uni?

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys and gals,

Does anyone have any good links or any good book recommendations on how to write and what to write about to make a good assignment or report? its coming to that time again where i get my assignments for my uni modules and ive had to face the fact that - i am just not very good on knowing how to write a good assignment and what to write in it.

any suggestions or recommendations would be a huge help. or if anyone could draw of there experiances?
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does your university have a writing lab? The U of M here has a staffed lab that will give you guidance and resources. Also, just google "how to write a report" or whatever. There are hundreds of good, free resources.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Your major department may require that papers must follow a specific style guide, such as MLA or APA. The college/university should publish a writing guide on their student Web site or sell it in the bookstore. Check with your faculty advisory or your department's secretary.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the replies, ive asked the student support and they have said check our website or attend the class. Thing is i do the degree PT and the class is during my work hours and they have no flexibility in it what so ever. ive checked there website and have found nothing to help either. at the minute i have to take time out of work already do goto my lectures and then work extra hours to make the time up so i cant get some more extra time out of work to attend the extra classes.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • ntctntct Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The style that you write in is also going to depend on the type of assignment it is. Are you working on a 10 page research paper or a 100 page lab report? I am nearing the end of my third year in network engineering degree and am only doing the lab reports from now on.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/ - awesome resource and covers many different topics that you may encounter when writing. Use the search for specifics.
  • dagger1xdagger1x Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Using the right format to make your citations as mentioned above. The way I always wrote research papers is using the simple advice to Tell them what your going to say, say it and then tell them what you said. From there I would sketch an outline with an introduction conclusion and several topic bullits, the longer the paper had to be the more bullits. If I need to flesh out the paper more I would add sub bullits to my bullits. After the outline was done I'd figure how many pages I need out of each bullit and sub bullit and start researching and writing. If I needed 15 pages I might have 5 bullits with 3 usb bullits or 3 and 5 figuring I needed a page out of each bullit. Anyway outlines always helped me get focused and started and I could crank out a 20 page paper in days.

nel wrote:
    Hi guys and gals,

Does anyone have any good links or any good book recommendations on how to write and what to write about to make a good assignment or report? its coming to that time again where i get my assignments for my uni modules and ive had to face the fact that - i am just not very good on knowing how to write a good assignment and what to write in it.

any suggestions or recommendations would be a huge help. or if anyone could draw of there experiances?