Personal LAB REPORTS???????

LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
I wanted to see if anyone else does this with there home lab... And I know this is going to sound really geeky.... Do you write up all your lab's and document procedures and outputs of your labs??? and if so what do you have all included in yours..

Mine look like this... ( Made an Template to fill out each time)

LABNAME

Abstract: LAB purpose and Technology tested

Theory: Intended Results for Lab

Procedure: config's

Data - Logs (syslog's and functional logs)

Results and Conclusions - Well its just the results...
The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What labs do you do that for? I could see that being useful for high-level Cisco tasks, but I'd feel kind of dumb writing about how I changed folder permissions and setup performance monitoring (no offense intended if you do it for MS stuff :D).
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    Ya, I would be really goofy If I did that for MS stuff... But I guess It could be applied to the high level stuff on MS side.... But I was referring to Major Crisco Testing... ( stress testing devices... or just deployment under Extreme conditions...) Like I did a lab over route redistribution between ospf and EGIRP...

On the MS side, you could do one over IAS verses Routing&Remote Access and multiple vendor clients... ( I have no idea just thought it would be a good test.) ( Still don't know the difference between IAS and Routing&Remote Access and I really don't care enough to go read all MS's doc right now..)
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Whenever I'm implementing something at work (even if it's minor) I do a similar documentation method so that if something breaks I can go back and verify the original MOP (method of procedure). I also like to take periodic network snapshots including grouped configs and what have you.

I may start doing lab reports at home though, if you feel they give you more value for your time.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    Personally, they keep me on track. I have a tendency to want experiment with different things while i am still trying to accomplish the original lab. I find that it really helps, and it makes me explain exactly what is going on with each procedure, and not just say it works OK I am done.
  • CCIE-4-HIRECCIE-4-HIRE Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I lab. I make mistakes. I learn from them. I lab some more. I make more mistakes. I learn from them. The story continues. Every once in a while I take a lab under simulated lab conditions - down to 7am in the morning start time and I record my grade. I note the weakareas and I work them out. Slow but sure I will get my ccie.
    You don't ever have a lab that you start out with a mind set on what you want to test and then half way through you are like ... well it would be cool to have this in the test??? That is more of what I was trying to ask.