Options

Passed 801

AngusBeefAngusBeef Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I got a 950 on my first attempt at the 640-801. Up till now I have just been lurking but I thought I would post to thank everyone for their help. It has been a long month of studying but it really paid off. I think I will take a break for a while now. :)

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    LOL you have been "lurking" Well, congrats!
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Congratulations icon_thumright.gif
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    montanamax23montanamax23 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey what did you rely on to pass the ccna 640-801? can you give me some tips and/or recommendations? All I'm doing right now is studying from a cisco press book. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    AngusBeefAngusBeef Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey what did you rely on to pass the ccna 640-801? can you give me some tips and/or recommendations? All I'm doing right now is studying from a cisco press book. icon_eek.gif

Well it depends on the individual. I graduated last year with a BA in computer science. While in college I wrote programs implementing algorithms such as the OSPF. I also took networking in which I had to write my own TCP protocol and studied RIP, Frame Relay, ATM, switching, etc more indepth than the CCNA covers.

So I mainly focused on brushing up and knowing the "cisco" answers to questions. Most of my time was spent with Boson Netsim because I had no prior Cisco experience at all. I also read the Cisco Press books and thumbed through the Sybex book. I liked the Cisco books cause you know they are giving you "cisco" answers.

So in short, my advice would be to nail down the concepts and then learn how to setup and troubleshoot it on cisco equipment (or simulator). It is much easier to understand what you are doing on a router than to memorize how to do something. It doesn't take long for it to become second nature after you have good understanding of the concepts.

And practice tests are OK, but for me they mostly just made me worry when I took one and didn't pass. Many practice tests have wrong answers, and questions that you don't even need to know. I was getting 70-80% on practice tests and ended up with a 950 on the real exam.

Hope that helps.