Hours

mjbossimjbossi Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
about how many hours did people study for the A+ exam before taking it?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    mjbossi wrote:
    about how many hours did people study for the A+ exam before taking it?

Are you talking about time it took to read a book? Or lifetime experience before taking an exam?

For myself I had several YEARS experience long before I even found out the exam existed. So, a week or two to read Meyers book, scheduled exams, walked in, and took both exams the same day and passed.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • pookerpooker Member Posts: 129 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just read the sybex study guide which took just over a week but everyone is different. There is a comfort level and there was a point where I thought I knew more than the test required so I went to go take it. I passed a+ and net+ on first try.
    I wanna be ccie
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm with Plantwiz on this, many years of experience, got a job that required an A+, went to the bookstore and flipped through a random A+ study book, decided it looked really easy so I refreshed my memory on DMA/IRQ and then went and took the exam the next day and passed. You can't really measure the study time as it is all dependent on your experience. I knew people who were at that job who were studying non-stop right up to the deadline for getting the A+. So basically just study until you are very comfortable with the material and the objectives, take a nap, check and make sure again you're comfortable, and then go and ace that exam.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • 147147 Member Posts: 117
    I've been fiddling with PCs since junior high (won't mention how long ago that was). I studied the book material for about an hour/day for three weeks.
    Fear is the absence of Faith.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I spent a solid 3 weeks on it, given that the exam is so costly.

Dont underestimate the 2007 A+/N+ tests. I found them very random, tricky, and irrelevant.
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    i wouldn't necessarily call the actual tests irrelevant. like all exams, those writing it assume you have a basic understanding of the material and would rather test your retention to details (however random they may be).

but, i know what you mean. i would much rather have a huge 250 question test instead of a measly 80 or so. i think more questions will allow you to apply everything you have studied -- from the fundamentals to the particulars. in my opinion, throwing in a bunch of poorly worded questions with possibly multiple correct answers is not an effective way to measure a person's knowledge -- only their luck.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Took a few practice tests, studied for about 5 hours total, passed. 4 years of IT experience and you'll pass this too.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    it took me around 3 weeks for each test, studying about 2-3 hours a day
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    My job affords me a lot of time to study so I didn't rush, I took about three months total. If you have a lot of experience that can shave a lot of time because the questions are experienced based. I don't like failing things (does anybody?) so I made sure I was prepared.