San Francisco, 200 Paul Datacenter

Fiber-OpticsFiber-Optics Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□

Just thought I would share this picture of a Cisco 7603 with a Supervisor 720 3BXL which is capable of supporting one million BGP4 Internet routes.

http://files.centauricom.com/cent/CIMG1853.JPG

It actually hosts a www.steampowered.com content server for Valve.

http://www.steampowered.com/v/index....=content_stats

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□

Just thought I would share this picture of a Cisco 7603 with a Supervisor 720 3BXL which is capable of supporting one million BGP4 Internet routes.
    I would have been more impressed if it was using the newer s-chassis and using the more advanced rsp720.Either way i'm not sure why you went to the bother of posting this pic.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • hugoluckyhugolucky Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□

cool, is steam still spewing rootkits? icon_cool.gif
    EdTheLad wrote:
    I would have been more impressed if it was using the newer s-chassis and using the more advanced rsp720.Either way i'm not sure why you went to the bother of posting this pic.

im not impressed
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's sooooooo little icon_lol.gif

I was trying to figure out the missing slot cover and why some of the modules looked like servers -- then I looked back up at the model number and realized it was the BABY 3 slot version. That also explained the missing redundancy. icon_lol.gif

Then I figured it probably still cost as much as a brand new Ford F-150 pickup icon_eek.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Fiber-OpticsFiber-Optics Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hmm, Interesting replies back to the original post. But I will clear a few things up. First when building a network you have to calculate what you are trying to achieve and what restraints come with them.

The Cisco 7603 is being deployed in a redundant configuration so there will be two of them as the redundant core. As for power requirements the size was a major factor as you can get away with a 950 Watt power supply vers the larger models 2700 Watt configurations.

Having said that this core network interconnects all the regional datacenters in the SF bay area together such as San Jose, Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, and San Francisco.

As for bothering to post the image, I am showing a older picture and will send a new one once the upgrade has been complete. Which will give alot of people studying for there CCIE a good idea on a redundant core multi datacenter ISP design. Thats not just in a book with a drawing of a diagram.

Since this core has OC-48's that connect our San Jose datacenter it will definately be pretty impressive and multiple upstream GiG-E fiber connections along with connections on the Internet Exchanges.

Such as http://www.sfmix.org

So point being said if this isnt interesting on a Tech board, then honestly I dont know why you guys are studying for the CCIE certs or any certification.

Just my two cents have a great weekend...
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□

So point being said if this isnt interesting on a Tech board, then honestly I dont know why you guys are studying for the CCIE certs or any certification.

Just my two cents have a great weekend...

Sorry, i dont find your picture interesting and i really dont see what it has to do with the ccie forum, maybe you should have posted it in the ccna forum where some of the noobs are really interested in seeing equipment.In my opinion this is the wrong forum for such a post.Lets have a poll, Who agrees? Who disagrees? Those who disagree crawl back to the ccna forum. icon_lol.gif
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your pictures aren't interesting and you didn't even provide an explanation until half a day after the original post. Hell, I work for an ISP and we use 7613's and C10k's to do what you do. They look a heck of a lot more impressive than 7603's and I'm not making threads about it.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    EdTheLad wrote:
    Sorry, i dont find your picture interesting and i really dont see what it has to do with the ccie forum, maybe you should have posted it in the ccna forum where some of the noobs are really interested in seeing equipment.In my opinion this is the wrong forum for such a post.Lets have a poll, Who agrees? Who disagrees? Those who disagree crawl back to the ccna forum. icon_lol.gif

Hey now, I agree it was the wrong forum, but be fair. My CCNA is at least a month out, and I wasn't impressed either. No need to pick on us up-and-comers (aka noobs).

Your post did make me laugh though. Good stuff.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ARE THEY REAL ETHERNET CABLES IN THAT PICTURE?????

....crawls back to the CCNA forum icon_sad.gif
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Fiber-OpticsFiber-Optics Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Honestly, this is the last time I will be posting on this forum. If all you guys want to be so high strung on a posting of a picture then so be it.

Have fun on your qwest of certs.

Lates,
    Honestly, this is the last time I will be posting on this forum.
    Sorry to hear that. But if you've actually read the forums here you would have noticed someone usually comments on the poor cabling solution of the lab rack pictures that get posted. I think there have also been mentions of people needing new curtains, carpet, or a fresh coat of paint of the walls. icon_rolleyes.gif

It is a tough crowd here -- that's why I haven't ever posted a lab picture. Plus every time I grab my camera for a cute "cat in the rack" picture, the cat jumps down/out. :D

But I would have to think that someone working on their CCIE has probably seen at least one medium sized router at least once in their career.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think we all know it's in good fun, too.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    Fiber-Optics - calm down ( I agree with mikej412, after reading these forums for a while these guys are not going to be impressed with just a picture of a 7600. But that doesn't mean that we don't care about your picture, or what you are building.) ( Just let the little things roll off you back and keep posting.)

EVERYONE ELSE - As I agree that the picture is of hardware, that I hope all of you have touched or at least equivalent hardware that warrants your ability to comment on this persons equipment, is not impressive. But that still doesn't give you the right to kill this poor kids new toy, I mean he took the time too take a picture and post it. I am not saying not to comment on the picture I am just saying take it in context, its his 11th post and if you read some of his other post's this might be a really big deal for him.
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • pookerpooker Member Posts: 129 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it was neat, but then again I think of anyone who has a ccie as a God-based figure. So I am just simple minded with one goal. :D Regardless I dont want you to leave, you seem smart.
    I wanna be ccie
    You'll always have someone who likes the pictures, but there are other people more interested in the articles.
  • TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    I personally think Ed the Lad is a jerk to everyone. I can't remember the last time I saw him post something positive.

I guess all of the people in this forum are burnt out from studying.

There really was no need to flame him like that.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Trailerisf wrote:
    I personally think Ed the Lad is a jerk to everyone. I can't remember the last time I saw him post something positive.

A Reading from the Book of Armaments, Chapter 4, Verses 16 to 20:

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats and orangutans and breakfast cereals ... Now did the Lord say, "First thou pullest the Holy Pin. Then thou must count to three. Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither shalt thou count two, excepting that thou then proceedeth to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the number of the counting, be reached, then lobbest thou the Holy Hand Grenade in the direction of thine foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."
    rm -rf /
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Trailerisf wrote:

That's not true. I regularly see him help other members. He's just very candid with his options icon_lol.gif
  • thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    dynamik wrote:
    Trailerisf wrote:

That's not true. I regularly see him help other members. He's just very candid with his options icon_lol.gif

I can't comment on or evaluate Ed the Lad's normal post behavior , but in this case I agree with Trailersf. It was not neccessary to rag on someone for getting excited about some new equipment (including posting pictures).

My 2 cents.

-Travis
  • SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    Don't feel bad, there are numerous comments about cabling after seeing pics of the famous Scott Morris lab as well:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31889
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4193
    Uber-Geek wrote:
    benjiga69 wrote:
    This gentleman's resume is impressive. Judging from the pics though, about the only certification that he doesn't have...is within the realm of cable management. Ha Ha.

The point isn't cable management. It's a lab. It changes. At least that means I'm busy with consulting or other projects...

If it were something more static, I'm well versed in cabling as well. Even done some lacing in my time.

Scott

If the folks here give someone a hard time about that equiptment you could probably expect the same if you posted a pic of your space shuttle that was built entirely out of Cisco routers.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote:
    I think we all know it's in good fun, too.

Thank You!

you need a thick hide and a sense of humor to survive on the internet :)

...and also, I didnt find the image very interesting either; sorry! icon_sad.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Go back and read his first post. I would hardly call it a "flame" or "rude". He calls 'em like he sees 'em. Blunt might be the word.

Besides, Ed was right. This was the wrong forum to post a pic with no explanation or reason other than trying to (unsuccessfully) impress. The CCIE is for big boys and girls.
    All things are possible, only believe.
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Go back and read his first post. I would hardly call it a "flame" or "rude". He calls 'em like he sees 'em. Blunt might be the word.

Besides, Ed was right. This was the wrong forum to post a pic with no explanation or reason other than trying to (unsuccessfully) impress. The CCIE is for big boys and girls.

Ok, so he posted in the 'wrong' forums. Maybe one of the Moderators should have moved the post then?

I did read Ed's first post, it was not that bad. The second one is what irked me. Please compare his posts to say, Mike's, and see that there are many different ways to get a point across, some of them more polite than others. (This was not meant to sound condescending.)

Tact, a lost art?

-Travis

PS. Mark I normally agree with what you say but on this one I can't!! :P
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    theseman wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:

Ok, so he posted in the 'wrong' forums. Maybe one of the Moderators should have moved the post then?

I did read Ed's first post, it was not that bad. The second one is what irked me. Please compare his posts to say, Mike's, and see that there are many different ways to get a point across, some of them more polite than others. (This was not meant to sound condescending.)

Tact, a lost art?

-Travis

Look at the OP's second post though. No one responded positively to his picture, so he WAS condescending with his comment:

It wasn't intersting to me either, so I guess I shouldn't study for any certification?
    All things are possible, only believe.
    sprkymrk wrote:
    theseman wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:

Tact, a lost art?

-Travis

Look at the OP's second post though. No one responded positively to his picture, so he WAS condescending with his comment:

It wasn't intersting to me either, so I guess I shouldn't study for any certification?

Tis true, that comment was unneccessary and a bit.. childish. I stand firm though in that it doesn't make the other things said and the manner they were said right!

-Travis
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What are ya'll doing taking pictures of a company's datacenter anyhow? Can anyone say security policy violation?

I wish I could post pics of the CRS setups I've worked on but I've never seen them in person, we have a long distance relationship icon_wink.gif
    The only easy day was yesterday!
    dtlokee wrote:
    What are ya'll doing taking pictures of a company's datacenter anyhow? Can anyone say security policy violation?
    That's a good point -- taking photos in a data center is usually a violation of a company Security Policy - so anyone taking and posting pictures of a production environment does so at their own risk.

I had thought about mentioning that, but I've seen "the new NOC guy" get fired one week for taking a picture with his cell phone, and then the next week a tour group of school kids taking all the pictures they want icon_confused.gif

I figure I don't make up the rules, it's not my job to enforce the rules -- so I just follow the rules. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Where is the poll for this one!

I'm vote for the "too harsh" radio button.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Hmm,

He posts a thread about his lab and people say they like it.
    He posts a thread bragging about his internet speed and no one really replies.
    He posts a picture of a peice of equipment, people said they werent interested, and he vows to never post again.

Guess he is really young. I couldnt have an employee that immature no matter how good he was.
  • c0d3_w0lfc0d3_w0lf Member Posts: 117
    Schluep wrote:
    Don't feel bad, there are numerous comments about cabling after seeing pics of the famous Scott Morris lab as well:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31889
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4193
    Uber-Geek wrote:
    benjiga69 wrote:
    This gentleman's resume is impressive. Judging from the pics though, about the only certification that he doesn't have...is within the realm of cable management. Ha Ha.

The point isn't cable management. It's a lab. It changes. At least that means I'm busy with consulting or other projects...

If it were something more static, I'm well versed in cabling as well. Even done some lacing in my time.

Scott

If the folks here give someone a hard time about that equiptment you could probably expect the same if you posted a pic of your space shuttle that was built entirely out of Cisco routers.

Holy crap in a crumbucket, batman! I MUST see that through to completion one day!

Cisco...will you take me to the stars?
    There is nothing that cannot be acheived.
  • aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    Honestly, this is the last time I will be posting on this forum. If all you guys want to be so high strung on a posting of a picture then so be it.

Have fun on your qwest of certs.

Lates,
    Don't be so bummed, dude! I kinda thought the pic was cool - and thanks for sharing.

Sometimes people are just not too excited about things that you may be excited about. People have different kinds of tolerance or level of tastes about what is "awe"some and what is not. I'm not to accustomed to seeing or working with these kinds of equipment you posted so I think it's cool. Some people work with it everyday - and some with even better equipment - so to them it's boring stuff.

Just chill though. Don't be so offended! Isss cooo!
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread