Passed 601 & 602

jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
Wanted to let everyone know that I passed the A+ certification this weekend and give you some opinions about the test:

1. This is a certification that shouldn't be taken lightly. A lot of the questions seemed to be designed to trick you in the sense that the incorrect and correct answers are very similar.

2. Make sure you have experience. I'm not talking about pulling a computer apart and putting it back together. I'm talking about dealing with customers and how you should handle specific situations. About 60% of both exams dealt with real world scenarios and if you aren't experienced they will get the best of you.

3. Listen to the people on this site. This is the second certification that I've gotten and I'd say a good portion of what I've learned is owed to the people on this site and the technotes. The objectives are so important for CompTIA certs so make sure you use them.

Thanks for all the help, I'm getting ready to get prepared for the Cisco route. Please feel free to ask me any questions, aside from content obviously.

Comments

• J0eJ0e Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif , and thx for the tips!
  • jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    I noticed I forgot to put my books on there. This is the second certification I've passed with Sybex so I'd go with that. I also got A+ 2006 In Depth by Jean Andrews, which while it was a good book had a lot of information that wasn't needed for a study guide. Go with Sybex and you should be okay.
    I noticed I forgot to put my books on there. This is the second certification I've passed with Sybex so I'd go with that. I also got A+ 2006 In Depth by Jean Andrews, which while it was a good book had a lot of information that wasn't needed for a study guide. Go with Sybex and you should be okay.

I'm using Michael Meyers A+ Certification All-in-One and some videos, hopefully that will be enough icon_study.gif ?!
    ...and will buy CliffsTestPrep CompTIA A+ heard some good reviews icon_thumright.gif
    A lot of people on this site have said good things about Mike Meyers so you should be okay. Are you taking practice tests?
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    Don't know about MM but good job on the pass!
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
    A lot of people on this site have said good things about Mike Meyers so you should be okay. Are you taking practice tests?

just the 1 at the end of every chapter for now, after I read the whole book(1171 pages icon_eek.gif ) then will move on the videos, practice tests and little hands-on on my old PC - after that exams I'm coming icon_wink.gif ! But could take 2-3 months icon_rolleyes.gif !
  • AnwardAnward Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratz!!!
    Remember that when things seems to be going against you, remember that the plane takes off against the wind and not with it
    JOe: I think that's one of the reasons that I've been successful on my two certifications that I've taken so far. I didn't rush myself and gave myself a reasonable deadline. Two to three months should be plenty for the A+. This is the way I broke down my A+ studying.

Month 1: Read Study guide.
    Month 2: Create flashcards based on objectives and study those. Begin practice tests.
    Month 3: Register for exam (that way you can put yourself on the clock) and take practices tests and learn where everything is in Windows.

This should keep you on the right track, however, to each his own. Good luck.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    liven wrote:
    Don't know about MM but good job on the pass!

icon_eek.gif

Meyers started and perfected the CompTIA A+, NET+ type books. Definately the best for those two exams with Sybex very, very close behind.

Congrats on passing the exam jscimeca715!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Thanks for all the congratulations, this site has a very good community!