Nervousssss!

learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
Hey guys, I've been enjoying lurking here the past few weeks as I feverishly study for the 601 and 602 next Wednesday. I am so nervous about this test it's not funny; a departure for me b/c I've been blessed with being a good test taker all my life. Quick rundown of experience and studying:

Electronics Tech in the Navy for 8 years, over 3 of which is schooling in basic electronic theory and data links, communications, crypto, and satellite communications(only stuff that applies to A+ is ESD/environmental, safety, and basic theory)

Been studying since January; read Mike Meyer's Passport cover to cover, taken the tests on cd w/ the book, every practice test I could find on the net, read the objectives and technotes here, and have been answering questions in my buddy's A+ book(Learnkey I believe, has the "Thinker" on the cover).

Seems like I'm ready, right? Why am I so nervous? My Navy schools were easy to me b/c I had the books that had every single answer in them; as long as I studied them, I blew away the course. In the A+ realm, there are SO many different books going to different depths of knowledge on the objectives that I don't know if I'm going in depth enough or not. Am I just over-analyzing? I've never been this nervous for a test in my life!

Comments

• jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    Being nervous is very normal, I know from experience. I passed the A+ on Saturday and I was nervous the entire week going into the test. My best advice is to really know situational questions that require technical and interpersonal skills. A lot of the questions on the A+ exam are designed to trick you in my opinion. There were a few questions that after I eliminated the wrong answers there were still two or three that could be right, but only one right CompTIA way. My recommendation is to mark the questions that you're confused by and go back after the exam is done. You'll have plenty of time to review these answers and give them more attention after you're done with your first go through. Don't get discouraged, you can do it.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Seems like I'm ready, right? Why am I so nervous? My Navy schools were easy to me b/c I had the books that had every single answer in them; as long as I studied them, I blew away the course. In the A+ realm, there are SO many different books going to different depths of knowledge on the objectives that I don't know if I'm going in depth enough or not. Am I just over-analyzing? I've never been this nervous for a test in my life!

This is why the exam is geared toward candidates WITH experience.

it's more then merely reading books and regurgitating facts (though CompTIA exams, particularly A+, NET+ there are many areas where you many just need to practice via repetition IRQ, DMA, etc...)

Review the objectives. These are the areas on the exam. The more you know, the better however, the exam isn't that detailed (IMO) so...basic understanding is what they are aiming for. Not NASA scientist.

You're likely ready. Relax, schedule the exam and good luck.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • pookerpooker Member Posts: 129 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didnt have any irq's or dma's and noone that I have talked to has said that they have had it on there. They are right it is geared for experience, I think they say nine months? Dont expect questions like what is a dhcp, expect questions regarding figuring out troubleshooting problems, why certain computers can't connect to this, how to interoperate a windows server with a netware.
    I wanna be ccie
  • learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    Thanks for the replies..... I'd say I have about 2 years experience w/ this material over my 5 + years as a communications tech, so I feel better. Troubleshooting is right up my alley, and although I know most of my IRQs and DMAs, it's good to hear that it's fading out. I feel better now, I'll give an update after I test on Wednesday.
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    along with the comments posted, i always suggest looking for the key words in the question in order to eliminate your choices. little red flags should pop up in your head when these words are used in the question: SHOULD, MUST, FIRST, & BEST. of course, these are just based on my test-taking experiences...

should = optional
    must = mandatory
    first = usually the simplest answer
    best = sometimes the most complex and time-consuming answer, but will have the greatest impact on the situation and most likely cover all of your bases.

"after each particular thing, ask, 'what is it in itself? what is it's nature'"
    Usus magister est optimus
  • jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    muyloco these are some really good points...i think it stands well that everybody should take note of these...good post.
    Excellent points, thank you!
  • CabbageThe1CabbageThe1 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Man I wish I would have looked at it like that when I took my test.

One thing though, if you haven't double check your voucher numbers make sure there valid. I got a number that had already been used when I took my test ( icon_eek.gif don't ask me how I don't have any idea how it happend) anyway I took the 602 first and had to wait about 2-3 weeks for them to sort everything out so I could take the 601 and by then I was freaking out. Just a thought and the best of luck to you!! :D
    If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style!
  • DelthiousDelthious Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Agreed. Voucher number issues are often more frustrating than the A+ test itself. also, did anyone else here find the 601 much more difficult than the 602?
    Time only kills people who waste it.
    voucher numbers? excuse my ignorance, but what are those?
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    voucher numbers? excuse my ignorance, but what are those?

You don't need them....so don't worry about that.

HOWEVER, many times people find a discount through a place like http://www.getcertify4less.com/techexams.asp where you can find a discount on the exam if you can use it by 'x' date. So, the more last minute you schedule your exam....sometimes a great deal of savings to you. Not always, but always worth shopping it just the same.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    oh ok thanks. Company's paying for the tests, so no biggie.
    You don't need them....so don't worry about that.

icon_eek.gif ?? Tell me more! I couldn't take the test without buying a voucher.....errr I meen 2 one for the 601 and one for the 602. How does that work?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    icon_eek.gif ?? Tell me more! I couldn't take the test without buying a voucher.....errr I meen 2 one for the 601 and one for the 602. How does that work?

You can register directly with Prometric or Vue. You don't need to buy vouchers. If you buy vouchers, you just enter the information when you register. It doesn't matter either way.
    Oh, Okay. Man I feel really dumb now icon_redface.gif but that is good to know.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Oh, Okay. Man I feel really dumb now icon_redface.gif but that is good to know.

It's no big deal. Don't worry about it.

Vouchers are great if you get them at a discount, as part of a package, or with a class. Otherwise they're usually the same price as the exam, so purchasing one just seems to add an extra step into the registration process with no benefit.