Options

Good Article on DHCP

kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
Everyone know that configuring a router as a DHCP server on the same subnet is easy. Hopefully this thread will make it easy for people like me that was not clear on how to set up a central DHCP server to serve multiple subnets. The important part of the DHCP header is the giaddr field which is the address of the Interface of ip helper address command

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-6345_11-5034551.html?tag=rbxccnbtr1

Here is from Cisco Docs

DHCP defines a process by which the DHCP Server knows the IP subnet in which the DHCP client resides, and it can assign an IP address from a pool of valid IP addresses in that subnet.

The DHCP Server identifies which DHCP address pool to use to service a client request as follows:

•If the client is not directly connected (the giaddr field of the DHCPDISCOVER broadcast message is non-zero), the DHCP Server matches the DHCPDISCOVER with a DHCP pool that has the subnet that contains the IP address in the giaddr field.

•If the client is directly connected (the giaddr field is zero), the DHCP Server matches the DHCPDISCOVER with DHCP pool(s) that contain the subnet(s) configured on the receiving interface. If the interface has secondary IP addresses, the subnets associated with the secondary IP addresses are examined for possible allocation only after the subnet associated with the primary IP address (on the interface) is exhausted.
Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This one is ok too. I kid, I kid.

Nice link. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    edit
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kryolla wrote:
    If you been in the field, what they teach in class is different than what goes on in the field.

Not always. Depends on the class, the instructor, the student, etc.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    kryolla wrote:
    If you been in the field, what they teach in class is different than what goes on in the field.

Not always. Depends on the class, the instructor, the student, etc.

just speaking from my experience :D
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    <sarcasm>
    Yeah because often in the field your focus is so narrow when you get into the classroom it covers way more than you need in the field icon_wink.gif
    </sarcasm>

Of course looking stuff up on google isn't going to be an exam objective either.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dtlokee wrote:
    Of course looking stuff up on google isn't going to be an exam objective either.

Google+ icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    edit
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One of the side effects of studying for the CCIE lab is I now find ways to come up with 10 oddball solutions to a simple problem.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:
    One of the side effects of studying for the CCIE lab is I now find ways to come up with 10 oddball solutions to a simple problem.

And you could come up with 1,435,237 more in .0435 seconds if you had your Google+ cert. :P
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    good read. ip helper-address is your friend when using a windows DHCP server,
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    kryolla wrote:
    RFC are good for theory but how do you apply that theory in the real world.

Try to write a simple FTP client/server from scratch without consulting the corresponding RFC. How can you implement a protocol if you don't know its specification?

Developers bathe themselves in RFCs.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]