CompTIA exams

£185 icon_confused.gif

Youre kidding????

Right???
Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For which exam? I know CompTIA exams are pricey, but keep in mind that they are good for life.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    amyamandaallen,

Well, with the exchange rate as it is. You can take the test here in the US, basically 30% off!
    -Daniel
  • amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    security +

it does say on the prometric site that comptia members get exam discounts.

I presume you have to pass a comptia exam first?
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    This is for corporate memberships from a company. If the company pays 99 bucks a year and you work for them you can get the exam at a discounted rate.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    What happens when CompTIA goes downhill and so do our pricey certifications?

Not likely, but stranger things have happened.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    £185 icon_confused.gif

Youre kidding????

Right???

A couple of things to consider, when looking at the price of CompTIA's exams. The first is that each cert, save for A+, requires only one test to achieve. Another is that CompTIA are lifetime exams, never needing to be renewed. If you look at MCSE, for example, you're looking at $125 x 7, which equals $875. The CCNA is only $150, (or $125 x 2), but it needs to be renewed every three years. Pro exams for Cisco are also $150, so obtaining your CCNP is $750, including the initial CCNA exam. Again, the cert has to be renewed every year with a $150 test. So, it's not just the initial cost of the exam, but the long-term investment that includes recerticiation and new study guides for updated material.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you tried these guys?

www.vue.com

I know pearson guys charge $250 if you are in states and 185pounds if you are outside U.S. These might have different rates, check it out.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□

Can you use these more than once? I've never seen this site before.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The worth of a certification versus its cost is determined by how it helped you reach your goals. Usually the goal is to get a promotion or better job. If paying for a cert or two helps you better your employment then it's more than worth the cost. If you are just getting the cert for personal interest, then yes, the CompTIA certs are pricey, and their lifetime status does not make them any more valuable. In fact, the value of a lifetime cert decreases over time because there is no required retest or proof of continuing education.
  • BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    I don't have a problem dropping what I did on the two tests for the A+ considering it got me a 6k raise and a job in IT.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    The A+ made the difference between a part time and a full time job back in 2003.

I went from a $9 per hour part time tech job to a $16 per hour full time tech job with benefits. I do not regret getting my A+ at all.
  • danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160

Can you use this outside USA / Canada?

Seems like yet another example of discriminatory pricing against Europe / UK.

I'm really sorry about the War of Independence, the War of 1812 and Are You Being Served - but personally, I do have an alibi.

icon_lol.gif

I've just booked to take Security+ myself, and was a little surprised by the 185 quid fee.
    -- Dan
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    danclarke wrote:
    I'm really sorry about the War of Independence, the War of 1812 and Are You Being Served - but personally, I do have an alibi.
    That's okay, we forgive you. And we promise not to tell Young Mr. Grace.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    danclarke wrote:
    I'm really sorry about ... Are You Being Served
    Hey! I love Are You Being Served? You should apologized for Graham Norton instead. :P
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    danclarke wrote:

Can you use this outside USA / Canada?

Seems like yet another example of discriminatory pricing against Europe / UK.

icon_lol.gif

I've just booked to take Security+ myself, and was a little surprised by the 185 quid fee.
    Yes, they have service in all parts of the globe.
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/