Options

IT Junior Position/Hardware

RS_MCPRS_MCP Member Posts: 352
IT Pro's,

Its been a few months now that I have been searching for my first IT position. I am currently on the MCSA 2003 IT professional track.

This morning I had found a IT Graduate position looking for someone with a degree or equivalent & experienced in Hardware & basic networking.

I sent them my CV & Cover letter and recieved a call within 10 minutes.

I now have an Interview tomorrow at 10am!!! icon_lol.gif

On the MCSA I have understood basic networking but the hardware comes in to it as the role is for setting up video conferences. I am not that technical on hardware apart from my own laptop which I once upgraded the RAM. (That took me 4 hours as I blunted the small screws) icon_lol.gif

Help people, I got less that 24 hours to prep for this interview...

WHAT SHALL I DO???

Many thanks for reading this post.

Raj

Comments

• Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    Make sure your clothes are cleaned and well pressed. Check out your shoes, make sure they are buffed and clean. Cut your nails, get a haircut if not one already. Tomorrow morning get up and shave. At this point I would worry too much about technical details. I would just try to find out more about the company and how you fit in there. Show up on time and be confident.
  • Options
    empc4000xl wrote:
    Make sure your clothes are cleaned and well pressed. Check out your shoes, make sure they are buffed and clean. Cut your nails, get a haircut if not one already. Tomorrow morning get up and shave. At this point I would worry too much about technical details. I would just try to find out more about the company and how you fit in there. Show up on time and be confident.

Come on mate, this is totally bog standard!

Lets get more technical...
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I agree with empc4000xl, focus more an presentation and don't sweat the details. If you feel you really need to cram some hardware knowledge before showing up then flip through an A+ book, but I doubt that they'll have you reassembling a server on the spot.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd google "sample interview questions" or something like that and think about what you're going to say. You're not going to learn any technical information by then. If they ask you what your 3 greatest strengths/weaknesses are, or where you plan to be in five years, you don't want to just sit there with a blank stare on your face like you've never thought about these things before.

Also, have a friend or family member interview you. It'll give you good experience.

The one that got me a few years ago was to talk about how you resolved a dispute between yourself and another employee. I'm pretty easy going and usually get along with everyone. I really didn't have anything in my arsenal for that. While reflecting on it later, I came with a good answer. It wasn't a major ordeal, but if I would have been able to relate that simple story of how I sat down with the guy and worked through a misunderstanding, it would have been a lot better.

Also, while those things do seem like common sense, a lot of people don't do them. I think I posted a humorous thread a little while ago about what not to do during an interview. Some people would bring their mom, or a pet, put the interview on hold to take a call, etc.
  • Options
    thesemantheseman Member Posts: 230
    If the job is setting up VC's,

Read a quick bit on VC devices from companies such as Tandberg, Polycom, and Cisco. Know your video and audio ports, (VGA, DVI, HDMI, Mic, RCA, SPDIF, Component).

There isn't much to the hardware side of a VC device, its mainly configurations and then knowing the ports. (Unless you are in charge of the firewalls too - but thats a big jump).

-Travis
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with what everyone said above. At this point you are better off preparing for the interview and researching the company that you are interviewing with. Of coure if you have some extra time after that it is good to brush up on what ever the job requires in the job description.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    Learn a little bit of history about the company, it WILL come in handy in one way or the other Scan over the hardware they use. I did this for the job I recently landed, and although I didn't have experience with this equipment, I landed the job by saying, "I don't have experience with this equipment, but this is very similar to equipment I've worked on in the past, the XXX device."
  • Options
    Thank you IT Pro's for all your help.

Much Appreciated.

Will keep you updated! :)