Options

Print Server issues

ChadaeChadae Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone. its been a while since i've been on this site. Needless to say i am not studying like im suppose to. Ive tried to solve this problem-which probably is sooooooooooo simple:

I had 2 HP printers on a network, but the IP address that I used is no longer in use (long story,...but pretty much we got another firewall). We dont have access to the old firewall info. None of the printers wont print naturally...b/c all the computers are on the new firewall. By the way we have enough licenses. Ive tried loading the CD that comes w/ the print server--aint working cuz it does see any printer installed. I tried adding new printer using TCP/IP port for the new IP address..yet it does not recognize this address. Im thinking mayb i need to just get into the new firewall and do some configuring there to make it work????????? Any takers on this one? icon_redface.gif

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I would first give new unused IPs to the Printers statically or Dynamically- however you do it (make sure the IP is not used). And then use Jet admin and add them....But I am not fully understanding? You have 2 firewalls??? Anyways make sure you have a trusted IP/SUBNET(LAN) zone on your firewall and put the printers IPs with in that...
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Were the printers set to DHCP? If so, go to the printer and printout the config page for the JetDirect or MIO. It should tell you the IP number that the print server grabbed.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Thanks so much ajs1976 & garv221 for your help. I did print a config page the ip address i got is from the old firewall.

Well we have only one firewall. We had one at first but to make a long story short the company who serviced it has gone away. So we pretty much had to buy a new firewall (since we couldn't get into the old one). The only thing still attached to the old IP addresses are the network printers. When i do print a config page from Jetadmin i see that the IP address is still connected to the old IP---and thats what i need to change. so you guys are saying i can change that statically or dynamically?
  • Options
    Well, i got two printers to work and i got the IP address changed. But...theres one more priner left which apparently i restored the factory settings and I cant seem to get the ip address changed. HELP!! Exactly what should i do????????????
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Read the manual and determine how to set the IP on the printer. Dynamic(DHCP) or static.
  • Options
    I did not have the manual though. but i was able to get this off the net and its working fine. Just in case anyone may find this useful icon_wink.gif :

To configure TCP/IP parameters from the control panel, use the following instructions:

Press the MENU button until HP MIO 1 (or 2), or HP EIO 1 (or 2) appears.

Press the ITEM button until CFG NETWORK = NO appears.

Press the PLUS or VALUE button until CFG NETWORK = YES appears.

NOTE: The CFG NETWORK = XXX (XXX being YES or NO) is a toggle, not a permanent setting. Changing it to YES allows the settings to be changed at that time. It will appear as CFG NETWORK = NO each time this menu is accessed.

Press SELECT or RESUME.

Press ITEM repeatedly until CFG TCP/IP = NO appears.

Press the PLUS or VALUE button until CFG TCP/IP = YES appears.

NOTE: The CFG TCP/IP = XXX (XXX being YES or NO) is a toggle, not a permanent setting. Changing it to YES allows the settings to be changed at that time. It will appear as CFG TCP/IP = NO each time this menu is accessed.

Press SELECT or RESUME.

Press the ITEM repeatedly until BOOTP = YES* appears.

Press the PLUS or VALUE button until BOOTP = NO appears.

NOTE: When using BootP or DHCP, keep the setting BOOTP = YES *. The BootP or DHCP server will configure the TCP/IP parameters on the HP Jetdirect. No other TCP/IP configuring is necessary.

Press SELECT or RESUME.

The following two steps apply to the HP Jetdirect 610n cards only:

DHCP=YES appears.

Press the PLUS or VALUE button until DHCP = NO appears.

NOTE: When using DHCP, keep the setting DHCP = YES *. The DHCP server will configure the TCP/IP parameters on the HP Jetdirect. No other TCP/IP configuring is necessary.

Press SELECT or RESUME.

Press ITEM until IP BYTE 1 = (value*) appears.

Press the PLUS or VALUE button, until the desired value of the first byte of the IP address appears. By pressing and holding the PLUS or VALUE button, the value will scroll rapidly (HP LaserJet 4000, 5000, and 8000 printers have a MINUS button to decrease the value).

Press SELECT or RESUME to save the value.

Press ITEM to continue. Repeat Steps 11-13 to configure the remaining bytes of the IP address.

Repeat Steps 11-13 to configure the subnet mask bytes (SM BYTE 1=), syslog server IP address (LG BYTE 1=), default gateway (GW BYTE 1=), and timeout (TIMEOUT=).

Press ONLINE, GO or MENU. Print a self-test page to verify the IP settings.

If the test page does not show the correct settings, power cycle the printer and reprint the test page.