Moving for a job

How many of you have had to move for an IT/network job (particularly with only a CCNA)? And has it been out-of-town or out-of-state?

I've been looking for network-employment for seven months without success so far. Looks like I'm going to have to spread a wider net now. This past week, job interviews for two separate jobs, once again, went to someone else. If someone is willing to hire me with no experience, I think I'd better take it, even if it means moving out-of-state. Having no experience is a killer. Seems like it's 2001 all over again - after the dot-com bust, when employers looked at a cert. like they would a summons.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gotta do what you gotta do! If I recall, you dont have the extra responsibilities and issues with wife and children? It makes you a prime candidate to test the waters. Sorry, I dont hold a CCNA or am I looking for a job, but I hope some of the advice helps you.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    I moved to London from New Zealand so i could get work experience in IT, i got work there with out certs :D and now have some great experience.. But i started low.

I think Americans have a hard time getting visas though
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Yep, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I've had to move now 4 times in my IT career. It took me too long to get my first IT gig because I didn't search outside my home town. Within weeks of opening my search to adjacent states, I was interviewing for a position as a Senior level engineer off the bat. That was with MCSE, not CCNA, though.

But definitely, broaden your search. If someone really likes you, inquire about them maybe covering part of your moving expenses. Don't ask that unless you think they really like you and might be willing to do it.
    Good luck to all!
  • SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    I just moved to NY to pursue a new job. Sometimes you gotta do it. My reasons, recently got out of an engagement so I wanted to be closer to family and start over, doubling my salary wasn't a bad motivator either icon_wink.gif I would've moved back eventually anyway, the IT field in SE PA (except Philly) sucks, NY is where it's at.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How many of you have had to move for an IT/network job (particularly with only a CCNA)? And has it been out-of-town or out-of-state?

I've been looking for network-employment for seven months without success so far. Looks like I'm going to have to spread a wider net now. This past week, job interviews for two separate jobs, once again, went to someone else. If someone is willing to hire me with no experience, I think I'd better take it, even if it means moving out-of-state. Having no experience is a killer. Seems like it's 2001 all over again - after the dot-com bust, when employers looked at a cert. like they would a summons.

Do you have any IT experience at all? Even a few months of part time experience will help. I got into IT back in 2003. It was tough times back then, and the area I live in is especially bad. I volunteered for a company for 4 months part time and after a few months I was offered my first full time IT job. Between 2003-2005 I was offered 4 jobs in the area even though the unemployment rate was 8-9% and I had people tell me I would not be able to get an IT job in the area I live in. Volunteering your time to work in an IT dept. even if it is only 10-15/hr. per week can help a lot.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Well I do know that when I was in Chattanooga, TN I had just over the border of no applicable work experience and I couldn't even secure an interview to save my life. But after moving out to Phoenix, AZ (for non-job related reasons) the opportunities have been pretty good around here, especially for entry level. And in my current job search I'm casting my nets far and wide, since I'm really wanting to get out of AZ. Way too hot here and the drivers are nutso, sorry snadam! You will find it rather hard though to secure interviews without being local for entry level work, I have noticed. So you may have to take the plunge then find the job. Just make sure you do your research before you jump ship to a new part of the world.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • btowntechbtowntech Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I moved to another state to take a networking job with a military contractor. Matter of fact this is my second week at work. I only had a CCNA and Network+ as far as certifications go but I do have a BS in Information Technology and an AAS in Electro-Mechanical Engineering. I also have 7 years experience as a PC Tech.

Just keep looking and make sure you'll be happy with where you'll move.
    BS - Information Technology; AAS - Electro-Mechanical Engineering
  • msnelgrovemsnelgrove Member Posts: 167
    I was recently offered a job that payed 15k more than what I was getting paid. It required me to move, in a relatively short time frame with no relocation allowance. I would have to sell most of my stuff drive roughly 1200km, find a new apartment, re-buy furniture all within 2 weeks. I was 75% sure that I was going to do the move. I went and talked to my current employer and told him of my situation and he gave me a comparable raise that made it worth my while to stay where I am.
    undomiel wrote:
    . But after moving out to Phoenix, AZ (for non-job related reasons) the opportunities have been pretty good around here, especially for entry level. And in my current job search I'm casting my nets far and wide, since I'm really wanting to get out of AZ. Way too hot here and the drivers are nutso, sorry snadam!

its okay...this morning I almost got hit in my neighborhood by a guy who ran his stop sign...again. icon_lol.gif

There are good job opportunities here in Phoenix, just need to tolerate heat (which I love), and be a defensive driver you should be fine. Hell the housing market is at snails pace, so prices are pretty good too!

My parents moved our entire family from the Bay Area to Phoenix over a decade ago. As much as I hated it back then, overall i think it was the right move.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    undomiel wrote:
    And in my current job search I'm casting my nets far and wide, since I'm really wanting to get out of AZ. Way too hot here and the drivers are nutso, sorry snadam!
    icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I'm still scraping my car every morning. This winter will not end.

The sad thing is, even though I'll finish my degree in a year, I probably won't actually get out of here for another two or three. I'm going to look for a new job this summer, and I really wouldn't want to bail on my new employers after only 8-10 months (plus it would look bad on my resume).

I have an uncle in Arizona. Maybe I should just show up one day with all my stuff in a U-Haul. "Hey! I'm going to stay with you until I find a job." icon_lol.gif
    dynamik wrote:
    Maybe I should just show up one day with all my stuff in a U-Haul. "Hey! I'm going to stay with you until I find a job." icon_lol.gif

And snadam will welcome you with open arms because my wife just slammed the door on your toes. :D

Unfortunately we're predicting unless I luck out in job searching we're stuck here for several more years as well.
    undomiel wrote:

And snadam will welcome you with open arms because my wife just slammed the door on your toes. :D

Unfortunately we're predicting unless I luck out in job searching we're stuck here for several more years as well.

no offense, but 'hotel snadam' has no vacancy icon_lol.gif

However, the 'snadam pub' is always open for business :D

• jlhctjlhct Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So far i'm loving Phoenix. I moved here from the NE last year. I found that the job market was pretty good. It seemed that there were more larger companies here to choose from.

That was one of the reasons I moved, to have greater chances for employment compared to where I came from, so to the OP If you can - like someone else said do what you have to do!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did you have a job lined up, or did you just pickup and move?
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    snadam wrote:
    undomiel wrote:
    . But after moving out to Phoenix, AZ (for non-job related reasons) the opportunities have been pretty good around here, especially for entry level. And in my current job search I'm casting my nets far and wide, since I'm really wanting to get out of AZ. Way too hot here and the drivers are nutso, sorry snadam!
    There are good job opportunities here in Phoenix, just need to tolerate heat (which I love), and be a defensive driver you should be fine. Hell the housing market is at snails pace, so prices are pretty good too!

My parents moved our entire family from the Bay Area to Phoenix over a decade ago. As much as I hated it back then, overall i think it was the right move.

Phoenix, eh? Hmm -
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
    Oh and be careful of the crazies in Phoenix. Last week while walking home from work I ran into one guy who kept trying to get me to get into his car. Then a couple of days later I ran into a guy who claimed he was Abel and that Satan was his sister and God's mothership was underneath the Big Dipper.
    undomiel wrote:
    Oh and be careful of the crazies in Phoenix. Last week while walking home from work I ran into one guy who kept trying to get me to get into his car. Then a couple of days later I ran into a guy who claimed he was Abel and that Satan was his sister and God's mothership was underneath the Big Dipper.

you must be hanging out on Mill Ave icon_lol.gif

as for crunchy, check out monster, jobing.com, and dice for jobs youre looking for in phoenix if you are interested. Do as much research as you can before packing up and moving. Remember its a Metropolitan area, so cities like Phoenix (north/south), Scottsdale, Paradise Valley (even though its actually phoenix), Mesa, Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, Peoria, Glendale are considered the "phoenix area"

I think jobing.com has a map view to tell you which jobs are where. VERY handy.

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    Oh and be careful of the crazies in Phoenix.

Especially beware of guys wearing extra large cowboy hats or hot dogs on their heads. :P
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    snadam wrote:
    However, the 'snadam pub' is always open for business :D

From Northern California to Arizona. . . if you've got happy-hour going on, I'll be there at 6pm.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Especially beware of guys wearing extra large cowboy hats or hot dogs on their heads. :P

Hey now, thats only during off-hours...what I do in my spare time is my own business icon_lol.gif

slowhand wrote:
    From Northern California to Arizona. . . if you've got happy-hour going on, I'll be there at 6pm.

Just look for the neon sign icon_lol.gif

• bikeandskibikeandski Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Denver seems to have a great IT job market. Colorado has over 300 days of sunshine a year, lots of things to do outside... Like mountain biking and skiing! :D

The traffic sucks but there are worse places to live, that's for sure.

Take a look.

Good luck!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm thinking about moving for a job opportunity. It's with a Cisco partner in New York. If my phone interview tomorrow goes well then it will be a good possibility that I will be moving.

That being said, I wouldn't move with out an offer. If you have a family you don't really want to drag them to a new area with out a solid offer.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jlhctjlhct Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    Did you have a job lined up, or did you just pickup and move?

I just picked up and moved. I had enough $$$ to last about 6 months and I was able to find a job. It worked out pretty well.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□

hi,

ive just recently moved 150 miles to a new jobs and sadly it hasnt worked out for me.i love the city and where i now live but work is hell! so just make sure its the one for you before you move. i would also consider pursuing your ccnp before you do go to give you better grounding.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I moved from texas to alabama to finish a degree. Then 6months later I moved from Alabama to Tennessee to pursuit a career and finish a degree. I lived in a hotel for like 3 weeks in Nashville untill i saved up money for an APT. Now I'm almost done with the degree, moved shops a couple times, and I'm buying a house.

I like moving around, seeing new things, meeting new people, and having different experiences. Hopefully I'll make it back to the homeland one day. There's no place like texas.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    bikeandski wrote:
    Denver seems to have a great IT job market. Colorado has over 300 days of sunshine a year, lots of things to do outside... Like mountain biking and skiing! :D

I had heard that Denver is really expensive, like Seattle or San Francisco, which is why I never considered it. I'd have to make 50k or more starting out to even be able to afford an apartment, I think.
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I was in the same boat as you. Had some entry level certs but just couldn't get my foot in the door anywhere after trying for a solid year or two. Just a plain lack of IT jobs in this town.

So, even though I eventually did find an IT job, I applied across the country, got it, and now work in a 100% Cisco shop in a major corp, tripled my salary, and have a couple even better prospects in this new city.

The only catch was moving 3400km lol. But if you are not tied down (mortgage, kids, stubborn wife/gf), you HAVE to do it. You will do wonders for your career and your life. Then once you get a couple years experience under you belt, you have more opportunities everywhere, even if you come back to where you started.

You have to just make it happen.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    bikeandski wrote:

I had heard that Denver is really expensive, like Seattle or San Francisco, which is why I never considered it. I'd have to make 50k or more starting out to even be able to afford an apartment, I think.
    Another thing to consider about Denver is that the smog can be terrible. The city sits at the bottom of a basin (valley) that fills up with every type of automotive and industrial emissions. The city sits in a stew of bad air until a weather system comes along to blow all the smog away. The same geography and conditions exist in Los Angeles too.
  • bikeandskibikeandski Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's true, smog in Denver can be terrible. But the foothills are only 15-20 min drive and you are out of the city and in the mountains.

The cost of living is not cheap but if your willing to commute to the outskirts of the metro area you can pick up a small but nice single family home for around $250,000. I have not been apartment shopping for years but I'm pretty sure you can get a nice place in a nice part of town for 800 or 900 bucks a month.

But we already have to many people here, so I probably shouldn't tell people how great it really is here! :D

Good luck with your job search.