I need help any Linux expert there...

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was working on installing Fedora Core 8, I added another harddrive on an existing machine that runs Windows XP Professional, after configuring the partitions suchs as /, /usr, swap, etc. for some reason GRUB did not include Windows XP as an option selection to boot to.

Also the video card driver seems to be unsupported, I had to swap the Video Card with another one that is compatible before I am able to go to the GUI.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Comments

• seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    I am really no help on the gui issue. I rarely touch the gui, but on the dual booting i may be some help.

You say there is no entry in the grub for the xp boot? Is that during the initial boot or is there no entry within the grub config files?
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    During initial boot, the only OS that is loaded is Fedora Core, so no entry for Windows XP, I have no idea how to open GRUB configuration, it's my 1st time installing Linux, but when I did it I made sure that the harddrive where Windows XP is installed was never touched.

Thanks in advance!
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    grub doesn't know about your windows partition because the boot loader is on the linux only hard drive.

you have to have the

/boot

on the same disk at the mbr for windows.

You can still boot into windows if you go into bios and specifiy the windows hard drive to boot from.

But this is a pain.

try this link:

http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the link, I never thought that I can infact install /boot on Windows Master Boot Record (MBR), I would assume that it gets overwritten, but it seems like it just squish itself on the 1st 1024 cylinder.

It seems, I will try to run fixboot, and unplug linux HD then maybe run rescue disk and see if I can install /boot.
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    Ya sorry I can't be more specific with details since I have never really had to do what you are trying to do.

I have always put windows on first, then linux and grub is happy.

But please let us know if you get it working!!!

Good luck
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • watcher69bwatcher69b Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    in your linux box

open a terminal
    type:
    su
    cd /boot
    cd grub
    vi menu.lst

In the menu.lst
    create an entry at the bottom like this one

# For booting Windows XP
    title Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd0,0) <
    numbers are IDE #, Device # so should be 1,1 for you...
    makeactive
    chainloader +1
    B.S. in Computer Science

Linux+
    A+
    Network+
    MCSA - 2003 Server
    MCP - Windows XP
    CCA - Presentation Server 4.0

All your base are belongs to us!
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    TS, sorry i missed following up after you answered my question. I was implying that you may have to edit your grub config files like watcher69b indicated. Give that a try.