Options

Working with C# and Java?

Is anybody working in an environment with both C# and Java? I am a C# programmer and was asked to write some sample code to help Java programmers understand how to interface with specific Microsoft Windows technologies. I think such samples would be nearly useless to Java programmers because of the differences in interfaces of the .NET Framework and the Java classes. However, I may be wrong here. Java programmers often translate C++ with Win32 calls to Java, so maybe the same is also commonly done with C# as well. If it isn't then I have no choice but to learn Java.

Comments

• Options
    vegetaholicvegetaholic Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are many developers who know both Java and C# but program in Only one.Because both
    language for same work, you know.Well he may be told you to write C# classes and C# classes
    are on high-extent similar to Java classes.

When you create C# classes try to avoid use of pointers and unsafe operations.

I know c# and Java is quite similar but C# syntax is more like C++ and there are many Java programmer who know c++ or c so it could be easy for them to understand the classes.

Well,I could be easy for you to learn Java because C# is Java's evil twin.

But the guy who know Java moves to C# learns new things and the guy who turns from C#
    to Java leaves many things.It's true ,It's damn true.

One more question,you have many certs which are not related to development then
    how come you want to learn Java?

LOL,I am asking even when I had to answer. :P
    You can't kill Java because he is sun of king C.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    One more question,you have many certs which are not related to development then how come you want to learn Java?
    I am a lone C# developer who works in a Java shop. At some point I'll need to "drink the Java" and I'm just trying to prepare for that day.
  • Options
    vegetaholicvegetaholic Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh I see, I did not know about it. If it is, you should really learn Java , it would be piece of cake for
    you as you already know C# and VB. :)
    You can't kill Java because he is sun of king C.
  • Options
    tjcassertjcasser Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Having gone a little bit of the opposite direction... (I work for a Java shop, but learned C# on my own and am now the lone .Net developer, though I did some integration projects at my last job-site before being shunted over to a MS-only client.)

I think it all depends on what you're needing the Java developers to learn, and the methods that are available to access said technologies. In the prior environment I was involved in, I'll admit that we somewhat kludged things by having most of the interface between the Java and Microsoft worlds through web services, which was a nice means to avoid having Java calling native code. I would confess to little experience with JNI save for a theoretical background, but then again, I'd also admit that my experience in the MS with calling non-.Net technologies has been equally theoretical.

As vegetaholic has mentioned, it's not that much different, thankfully - getting up to speed in C# from Java took me perhaps a month, not counting idiosyncracies of the two languages where they differ vastly, such as ADO.NET vs JDBC. (Though, to respectfully disagree - I don't think that the person who goes from C# to Java 'leaves' many things... I think both are just strong in different areas. In some places - the COTS system that my company largely works with, for example - both are equally good.)
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Windows Applications
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Web Applications
    MCTS: .NET Framework 2.0 Distributed Applications
    MCPD: .Net Framework 2.0 Enterprise Applications