concerns

leekleek Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I currently hold an CCNA, MCTS, SEC+ and will be taking the SND (1st part of CCSP) next week.

My concerns are that I am currently a network performance analyst trying to get into the security field however I am finding it difficult to make the transition as I have no experience. If I progress on and complete the CCSP will employees be expecting me to jump into a position and start using hardware straight away ? or is this cert more useful in actually getting the position?

My concern is that as I am not using the hardware daily I will pass the exam on memory then forget everything

Lee

Comments

• livenliven Member Posts: 918
    I don't think it is going to hurt you to have a CCSP. But I wouldn't count on it granting you a security admin position.

It takes time, and chances are if you get a security job it will not be just firewall or IPS administration.

But, the more knowledge you have of security and the systems involved the better off you will be.

So I say go for it, and when your done there keep learning about security. Security plus, or perhaps SSCP.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    leek wrote:
    My concern is that as I am not using the hardware daily I will pass the exam on memory then forget everything

Maybe rent rack time every couple weeks or once a month and run through a lab. Why don't you just go for a security CCIE? That will keep things fresh in your mind ;)
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    dynamik wrote:
    leek wrote:

Maybe rent rack time every couple weeks or once a month and run through a lab. Why don't you just go for a security CCIE? That will keep things fresh in your mind ;)

Bump

hahaha

it will be hard with out some hands on....

Now that i think about it... You will probably not retain much if you don't have some sort of simulator or some other method to actually practice configs...

try dynamips, rack rentals or I think there are a few asa sims out there (might be pix sims)
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Some people luck out and get some security responsibilities where they currently work (and hopefully some training) and move into security that way.

But if you're looking for an opportunity to get into the security field and don't have that option in your current job, then having the knowledge from the CCSP would help. If you earn the CCSP, make sure you're able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills during the interview process.

If you plan to get the CCSP and then forget everything you learned, then I'd say don't bother. If you're serious about breaking into the security side of things, you should be willing to learn and keep your knowledge and skills up to date until you achieve that objective.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • leekleek Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the info.

I already hold the security +. I would like to go for the SSCP also as this and the sec+ and mcts with 2 other microsoft certs will give me the mcsa S+ cert. Can I sit the exam with what I currently have ? i do have some security work on my CV but not a full year which i think is the requirement for the SSCP
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    leek wrote:
    i do have some security work on my CV but not a full year which i think is the requirement for the SSCP

Yes. If you fail to meet the requirements, you will become an associate of (ISC)^2. Once you fulfill the requirements, you will be granted the SSCP designation.