Options

which direction should I go?

POPdevilPOPdevil Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
As always I've been doing a little thinking. I'm always thinking about the best path to take when it comes to certifications. I try and lean towards certifications that will help me in the marketplace and also go with what I enjoy. Here is my dilemma.

I passed my CCNA and was planning on taking the BSCI. I am about half way through the book and got side tracked thinking about the Security+ exam. I studied for the Security+ exam not too long ago. I have a practice test program that sends you auto-updates and now I have the latest practice questions. I took the practice test and scored pretty well for not studying it for a while. I remembered about 90% of the material. I wonder if I should take a month off from studying for the BSCI and study for the Security+ exam so I'll have the Microsoft/Cisco and Security+ on my resume.

Any helpful suggestions would be great.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    POPdevil wrote:
    As always I've been doing a little thinking. I'm always thinking about the best path to take when it comes to certifications. I try and lean towards certifications that will help me in the marketplace and also go with what I enjoy. Here is my dilemma.

I passed my CCNA and was planning on taking the BSCI. I am about half way through the book and got side tracked thinking about the Security+ exam. I studied for the Security+ exam not too long ago. I have a practice test program that sends you auto-updates and now I have the latest practice questions. I took the practice test and scored pretty well for not studying it for a while. I remembered about 90% of the material. I wonder if I should take a month off from studying for the BSCI and study for the Security+ exam so I'll have the Microsoft/Cisco and Security+ on my resume.

Any helpful suggestions would be great.

I voted for you to work on the Security+ and this is why.....You sound like you could be ready to take that test pretty quick. When you pass this one test you will have something to add to your resume. If you stick with the CCNP track...you will have no cert to add to your resume until you take and pass 4 tests...Also..you don't need thoughts of the Security+ haunting you while studying for the CCNP. That track will be fun enough without distractions....I hope this helps...
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    RezRez Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

I'm currently studying for my sec+ at the moment as looking to move my career in the direction of security.

I would think it depends on your career goals - are you looking to move towards security in general, or more indepth / larger networks?

If the answer is networking related it might be worth taking the BCSI first and then decide if you want to do the sec+ or more cisco / networking related exams.

If on the otherhand you want more secdurity exposure it may indeed be worth taking the sec+.

For me personally i'm very short on time between working and a host of hobbies that my plan is to target my certifications carefully to best help my career path. If I had more time I would look to do more certs as I'm interested in most aspects of IT!

just my thoughts

cheers

K
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I voted SEC+ first because I agree with everything Ten9t6 said. Good Luck!