Holy Smokes... I Passed

jskorichjskorich Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everybody.. I passed the Security+ today. It was the SYO-101 (2007 Version).

I didn't do very well... 775, and i'm sure you all know that a 764 is needed to pass, but it counts.

Man i'm so excited. What a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.. (I had to pass as a proficiency for a course this term, so now i'm actually graduating)

Now down to business. I studied with the tech notes and the Sybex Security+ book.

I felt the exam was fair and for the most part error free. There were a few "chose the BEST answer" that were annoying as it seemed that several of the choices had their advantages over the others. I enjoyed the ability to skip questions and go back later.. something that is not allowed with adaptive testing (Cisco and others). I did not have many of the "scenario" type of questions that people have been complaining about. I guess there were some, but they didn't seem any easier or harder than the rest.

For those of you that are studying, take comfort in knowing that the tech notes on this site are great. The information is accurate and easy to read. Many of my questions were covered in the tech notes that weren't in the Sybex book.

If i were to study again, i would focus more on cryptographic systems, (IPSec and SSL), and Access Control methods (RBAC, MAC, DAC, and types, BIBA, Bell La-Padula).

My tips for all of you future test takers.... Study, study, study, relax, relax, relax. I was incredibly nervous going into the exam, which in turn caused me to read questions improperly and get them wrong. Take your time with the exam, and make sure you answer specifically what the questions is asking. Leave 10 or 15 minutes at the end of the exam to go back and verify you read the questions correctly.

So thats my report. If anyone has questions about the exam let me know. Now its party time.

Josh

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass, enjoy that partying. What's next for you? (Once you sober up, that is. drunken_smilie.gif )

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    Congratulations

Man your score is above the pass mark, at the end of the day you got a 1 not the 0.
  • jdixon63jdixon63 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! A pass is a pass -- 764 is no different from a 900 once you get the cert.

(If you really want to think of this in "grade" terms, then your 775/900 is 86%. Not bad at all!)
  • AnwardAnward Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congratz on the pass!!!
    Remember that when things seems to be going against you, remember that the plane takes off against the wind and not with it
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Nishesh.PrasadNishesh.Prasad Member Posts: 185
    good job m8 !
    MCITP: EA 2008| VCP4| MCSE 2003 | CCNA | MCSA 2003: Security | MCDST | Security+ | ITILV3
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats mate
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • SSjiSSji Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    good job!!

good to hear the tech notes here were so good!!
  • examseekerexamseeker Member Posts: 118
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Congrats on the pass! I will be taking mine next month at the latest, so hopefully I can join the crowd here and then focus on the MCSA/MCSE tracks.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!