CCIE Security LAB

pr3d4t0rpr3d4t0r Member Posts: 173
Hi guys,

I found some equipement and i think it's time to build my ccie practice lab.

Here is what i have for now.

1xPIX 515E
1xCisco IDS 4210
1xVPN Concentrator 3000
1x3600 Router
1x800 Router

I have a stack of 3750 Switches@work, a cisco asa 5520@work,

What do you think ? Is this equipement enough to practice on ?

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's a good start -- you've got the technologies covered.

I've got the 2 unrestricted PIXs so I've got failover covered -- but it may be worth checking to see if you can do it with PEMU.

And someone supposedly got the IPS 5.x or 6.x software working in VMWare -- but I'm not sure if that lets you do the inline interfaces. But it's not too much of a stretch from doing the VLAN Pairs on the 4210 with the 5.x software to the inline interface configurations.

Which 3000? A 3005 or bigger is what you'd want. The 3002 hardware device was good for learning the software interface for the CSVPN exam, but probably not for CCIE Study. But that does remind me, I should check the CCIE Security Equipment List and see if anything has changed lately..... nope, still 3550 switches and everything else is still there :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • pr3d4t0rpr3d4t0r Member Posts: 173
  • CCIE-4-HIRECCIE-4-HIRE Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PIX 520's are nice and have a lot of interfaces for DMZ's that are relatively dirt cheap. They run at least 6.3.5 supported. I'm going to try 7.x on them and see if it flies.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    People have gotten 7.x on the 506 (without ADSM) but I haven't seen anyone who said they got it working on a 520. They've gotten it loaded, boot it, and then it goes into a boot/reboot cycle.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!