Linux + perquisites

eg2505eg2505 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all

I have my A+ and just passed N+ and I was wondering if I should take Linux +

what are the perquisites for linux+

I have worked with ms-dos before and I know a few commands are shared between the two
eg:cd,mkdir,rmdir

but what I want to know, is how much practical linux do I need?
and what backround does one need for this certificaton

is this a worthwhile certification to take?

what are the career options for someone who is linux + certified

one last thing is Linux + the same as linux ace

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To me, if you just want to get a quick foot in the door then taking the Linux+ isn't a bad idea. But if you are interested in becoming a more serious Linux admin (I'm not saying thats all you do) then going down the LPIC or RHCE path is a better one to take.

Getting the Linux+ is just more eye candy for managers so that you have something to back yourself up when you say you know Linux. The main learning comes from doing labs and more labs.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did the Linux+ back in 2005, so the exam has probably changed since then.

Almost half of the questions on my exam could have been on the A+ or Network+ exams. I actually had a couple of questions about ports that did not reference Linux at all.

If you look on the CompTIA website, you will find their recommendations for experience. It is a recommendation not a requirement. I played around with Linux a little, and then had a Unix administration class at the local community college. I used the Sybex book and the text book from my class to prepare for the exam.

I feel that Linux+ is good for Microsoft people, that want tos show that the know something about Linux. Linux Admins should skip it and go to LPI, Red Hat, or some other higher level certification.

Linux+ is a low level cert. After taking the exam, I told someone that I had enough knowledge to really screw up a Linux system.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    eg2505 wrote:
    what are the perquisites for linux+
    No pre-reqs, but CompTIA recommends a minimum of six to twelve months of practical Linux experience.
    eg2505 wrote:
    but what I want to know, is how much practical linux do I need?
    and what backround does one need for this certificaton
    Knowing a little DOS is not nearly enough. While most people could pass this exam w/o a year of Linux like CompTIA recommends, you definately need to install and use it for a couple months at least to get some hands-on.
    eg2505 wrote:
    is this a worthwhile certification to take?
    It all depends. It certainly is worth it to be familiar with something other than Windows, and it adds variety to your resume. On the whole it's not a guarentee to a bright future or high paying job, nor does it carry the weight of MCSE or Cisco certs. But if the job requires you to know linux or unix this cert will help you prove your familiarity.
    eg2505 wrote:
    one last thing is Linux + the same as linux ace
    No. I've never heard of Linux Ace.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote:
    Linux+ is a low level cert. After taking the exam, I told someone that I had enough knowledge to really screw up a Linux system.

Nice one. icon_lol.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.