Options

trouble understanding all the dns stuff!

majkowskidmajkowskid Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
ok, i take my test friday. i'm having a bit of a problem understanding and remembering all the dns 'stuff'

what i need a REALLY BREIF explanation of is when to use each of the following:

delegation
secondary zones
stub zones
fowarders

now, before you list, tell me if i'm correct

delegation is to delegate DNS queries to another dns server... like if i have a child domain right?

a secondary zone is simply for redundancy?

stub zones are just like fowarders, but they dynamically update right?

and fowarders are to foward queries not in their dns 'scope' to another dns sever (conditional), but do not dynamically update right?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    delegation is to delegate DNS queries to another dns server... like if i have a child domain right?

a secondary zone is simply for redundancy?

stub zones are just like fowarders, but they dynamically update right?

and fowarders are to foward queries not in their dns 'scope' to another dns sever (conditional), but do not dynamically update right?

1) Bascially what you said but usually to different DNS software like BIND

2) Secondary zones are for redundancy and to divide loads.

3) Stub zones are a lot different than forwarders and conditional forwarders are different as well.

4) Forwarders are meant to forward all DNS queries that they can't resolve to another DNS server. Conditional forwarders are meant to only send DNS queries for specific zones. Dynamic updates are different in the equation.

Have you labbed any of this up? I think you would learn a lot more if you did.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unfortunately a simple definition won't get you by on the exam. MS will throw in stuff to mess you up. Like is the zone AD Integrated? What version of bind is compatible? Are they using secure updates? You've got to watch for all these little clues to get the right answer, not just know "when is it best to use this" stuff. You really really need a handle on DNS for 291, there's just no easy way around it. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.