New Exam !!

supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
I just got this word from CompTIA (my school is an E2C partner).
The new version of the exam is scheduled to launch in October of 2008.
I'm working on getting a copy of the new objectives and I will let all know when these are available. I'm going to a meeting on April 15 to get further details on the launch/retirement.

News as it arrives. icon_cool.gif
Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good news. The current one seems to be quite dated. Thanks for the update.
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I read some where awhile ago they were meeting to discuss updating it. Too late, already passed :^), today!
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    Thanks for the word on Security+ exam.

I need to take before October because my timeline was set around August. I should be ok.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Sounds good... I wonder if they will need beta testers...
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    About time!
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wasn't planning on doing any more certs for a few months, but I guess I need to hurry up and take it. Last exam I need for MCSE:Security.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • DarthLysisDarthLysis Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info.

I was about to get back in to the cert thing and Security+ looked like something very useful. I am sure I can pass the test before October but would rather wait for the updated test to be more current.

I have 3 M$ test that I can work on till next year anyway.
  • khaled108khaled108 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nice one man thks a lot 4 the update
    lets us know if u get any more

i appreciate
    Khaled CCNA quialified
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    I have a copy of the new objectives. PM me with an email addy and I will forward them to anyone that is interested. icon_cool.gif
  • coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a copy of the new objectives. PM me with an email addy and I will forward them to anyone that is interested. icon_cool.gif

Thanks man, got your e-mail, looked at the new objectives as well. It seems they have added a lot of new stuff, but nothing you wouldn't come across in real world.

I have been preparing of the Security+ for some time now and plan to take the current version exam pretty soon.

You know for sure the objectives are not going to be in effect until october 2008. Only reason I ask this is because I don't want to have to prepare for the exam all over again, neither do I want to appear for the exam all prepared with the old objectives.

Your input will be appreciated.
  • maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163
    Is it worth to take the sec+ exam now, or should i wait for them to update!!?... what about the network+ is it worth taking it now!? cuz i bought some books to try and pass it on the next 2 months!

I was thinking in getting the security+ certification in july or something but Ill guess ill wait for the update, but are any news about updating network+ also?
    maumercado wrote:
    Is it worth to take the sec+ exam now, or should i wait for them to update!!... what about the network+ is it worth taking it now!?
    Don't hesitate and wait for "updates". Take the exam when you are ready. icon_cool.gif
    Heres a link regarding network+ update
    http://www.jerm.com/blog-1254-CompTIA_Network_2008_Certification.htm

supertechCETma could you post a link for more information on the security+ certification? or maybe to the certifications objectives?
  • ValkeValke Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for posting that link maumercado, I contacted CompTIA no more than a couple months ago and their response to me was that there were no plans to update the Network+ test
    Thanks Valke!! so i guess im doing the network+ exam, and wait till they update the security+ exam and take the new version!
  • ValkeValke Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I plan on taking the Net+ exam in the next month or so anyway, so I guess I lucked out with not having to study new material over again.
    so I guess I lucked out with not having to study new material over again.
    That what I was worried about, whats the point of taking a cert that it will be updated in a few months...

Im thinking in taking it in the beginning of june, since there are no updates planned for network+ this year or the next apparently, and begin self studying security+ as soon as updated material is launched and the cert updated also!
    I have just contacted Comptia, they say they have no information regarding these updates on network+ and security+ they say theyre not planning any changes in the next 8 months! thats this year!

mm supertechCETma could you send me an email with the information on the sec+ update please!
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I basically don't trust any news articles date April 1st. It is an absolutely horrible day to look at any news, because there is always fall-out from pranks for the next several weeks.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    I have called Comptia today about the Security+ test and they told me that there were no plans to update as of this time and even if they did, the current test will still be in effect for at least 7-8 months.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
    Dear All,

I base this information on communications with Carol Balkcom, Product Manager, CompTIA Security+, RFID+, Linux+. I am a little more plugged into CompTIA than most.

If you don't choose to believe it, fine. A Skills Development meeting is scheduled for April 15th. I should have more info at that time... if you choose to believe it, or not. icon_cool.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    if you choose to believe it, or not. icon_cool.gif

Right... You expect me to believe that someone named "Super Tech", who has a boatload of CompTIA certifications, is a reliable source for CompTIA information?

What's next? Mike being a reliable source of Cisco information? Outrageous!
    A Skills Development meeting is scheduled for April 15th

From comptia webpage:
    CompTIA is currently seeking Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to provide assistance in an Item Development Workshop for a new CompTIA Security+ exam. Item Development is the phase of exam development when the questions for the exam are written. The workshop is taking place Feb. 11-15, 2008. This step is part of an ongoing development process that is necessary to ensure the validity of the exam. Assistance from SMEs is crucial to the relevance and quality of the program.

CompTIA is currently seeking Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to provide assistance in the CompTIA Network+ Item Development Workshop. Item Development is the phase of exam development when the questions for the exam are written. The workshop is taking place on May 12-16, 2008 at our headquarters in Oakbrook Terrace, IL. This step is part of an ongoing development process that is necessary to ensure the validity of the exam. Assistance from SMEs is crucial to the relevance and quality of the program.

An email I received from comptia about the matter:
    Dear Mauricio,

Thank you for your email.

At this time, we do not have any notification of a change with the Network+ exam. The Security+ exam will be upgraded in October 2008. The current Security+ exam (2007) edition will retire on April 30, 2009. More information about the Security+ exam will be on the website next month.

Regards,

CompTIA

Skills Development Customer Service Team

630-678-8300

FAX 630-268-9071

(cac)
  • ChippykillerChippykiller Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the update folks!!!

looks like I will need to get my butt into gear...lol

pm sent for the new objectives as well....thanks
  • LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Will the old certification be expired when the new becomes available? I know that Microsoft retires certifications, but do not know if CompTIA does. If they do not, why wait for the new cert?
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    If you pass the current version or the new version you will still hold the cert for life. The old test will be phased out and you will have to take the new updated test if you have not already taken it, when ever that is announced.
  • msnelgrovemsnelgrove Member Posts: 167
    Here is what it said in the survey that I got in my email
    CompTIA is launching an updated CompTIA Security+ (2008 edition) exam in October. Some employers require continuing education or recertification for their employees at specific intervals.

We would like your input on the need in the CompTIA Security+ certified market for an additional exam solely covering the differences between the last CompTIA Security+ exam and the newly updated exam. The exam would consist of approximately 40 questions. Passing the exam would bring the skills of those already certified in CompTIA Security+ up to date, and would result in certification in CompTIA Security+ (2008 Edition).

CompTIA regularly performs exam maintenance to keep our certifications relevant and up-to-date. Currently, CompTIA is developing an updated CompTIA Security+ exam. Some employers recommend or require continuing education or recertification for their employees at prescribed intervals. We would like your input on the need for an upgrade path for professionals certified in the current version of the exam. This would offer certified professionals the option to take an additional exam to become certified on the new CompTIA Security+ objectives, but would not impact the status of any certifications. CompTIA Security+ certification will still be valid for life.
  • yourmysinyourmysin Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The 2008 Objectives are now available on the CompTIA website. Just grabbed myself a copy.
  • msnelgrovemsnelgrove Member Posts: 167
    Thanks! I just downloaded them myself. Depending on the price of the update exam I might take this. Mostly looks the same but I like that they added to the organizational policies.
    6.4 Identify and explain applicable legislation and organizational policies.
    • Secure disposal of computers
    • Acceptable use policies
    • Password complexity
    • Change management
    • Classification of information
    • Mandatory vacations
    • Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
    • Due care
    • Due diligence
    • Due process
    • SLA
    • Security-related HR policy
    • User education and awareness training
    Nobody where I live disposes of computers in a proper manner, they all end up at the **** and they don't sanitize the media *facepalm*