BSCI troubleshooting tips

mundaycmundayc Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all

I recently took the BSCI exam and narrowly failed. Looking at the test report, i'm nailing the technology section, but failing pretty badly on the implementation and troubleshooting parts. Does anyone have any hints&tips/good docs/sites etc that may help me improve these skills...Since recently changing jobs i get very little hands on experience now!! icon_cry.gif

Many thanks

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I suggest focussing on the routing protocols' configuration commands and the show commands used for troubleshooting.

What did you use to prepare? Any book?
  • quickpotquickpot Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I sat this exam not too long ago and it was pretty tough but doable. My case was the exact opposite from yours. I did well on Troubleshooting and Implementation but did average on Design.

According to Cisco.com

x Implementation and Configuration

Given a set of network requirements, identify the steps to configure an Enhanced IGRP environment and verify proper operation (within described guidelines) of your routers
    Given an addressing scheme and other laboratory parameters, identify the steps to configure a single-area OSPF environment and verify proper operation (within described guidelines) of your routers
    Given an addressing scheme and other laboratory parameters, identify the steps to configure a multiple area OSPF environment and verify proper operation (within described guidelines) of your routers
    Given an addressing scheme and other laboratory parameters, identify the steps to configure Cisco routers for proper Integrated IS-IS operation
    Identify the steps to select and configure the different ways to control routing update traffic
    Identify the steps to configure router redistribution in a network
    Identify the steps to configure policy-based routing using route maps
    Given a set of network requirements, identify the steps to configure a BGP environment and verify proper operation (within described guidelines) of your routers
    Identify the steps to configure a router for Network Address Translation with overload, static translations, and route maps.

x Troubleshooting

Identify the steps to verify OSPF operation in a single area
    Identify the steps to verify OSPF operation in multiple areas
    Identify verification methods which ensure proper operation of Integrated IS-IS on Cisco routers
    Identify the steps to verify route redistribution
    Describe the scalability problems associated with internal BGP
    Interpret the output of various show and debug commands to determine the cause of route selection errors and configuration problems
    Identify the steps to verify Enhanced IGRP operation

It's always good to check their website before taking any test and see if you are well prepared on the sections they specify.

More info on:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/10/wwtraining/certprog/testing/current_exams/642-801.html
  • mundaycmundayc Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used the Clare Gough Cisco press book, which i found to be useful, however I found several glaring mistakes and the routersim part of the test engine is awful and full of errors.
  • mundaycmundayc Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    quickpot
    many thks