Passed Security+ today: Don't know what went right

danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
I've just come back from the test centre, having passed Security+ with a score of 820.

Like many previous posters, I was knocked sideways by some of the questions, and I was convinced I had failed.

One technique I always follow is to keep a tally of the questions which I know I have answered correctly, and (of course) mark the questions I am unsure of, so that I can feel confident about when I have reached the passing score.

I didn't reach that level of confidence on this exam.

I think that CompTIA need the facility that Microsoft exams have - of allowing the candidate to comment on individual questions at the end of the test.

Anyway - I used the Sybex book, Exam Cram (quite an old copy, but with a 2006 vintage practise test included), as well as the SelfTestSoftware practise test.

Once I get the CompTIA ratification, and I publish it to Miscrosoft, the Security+ should complete my MCSE 2K3 certification.
-- Dan

Comments

• jskorichjskorich Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    That's awesome! Feels great to go from convinced of failure to overwhelming success.

It took only a few days for my Security+ to post to my MCP transcript so it hopefully won't be too long for you.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats icon_cool.gif
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    Congrats...I just got a new job and found out that they require an Information Assurance certification within 6 months. So I will be taking on my Security+ hopefully in the next month or so.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass, and on your two new certs. After you're done basking in the MCSE/Security+ glow, what's up next for you?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • AnwardAnward Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congratz on the pass.

Good Job :D
    Remember that when things seems to be going against you, remember that the plane takes off against the wind and not with it
  • danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    IT Man wrote:
    Congrats...I just got a new job and found out that they require an Information Assurance certification within 6 months. So I will be taking on my Security+ hopefully in the next month or so.

Very best of luck with it!

One further piece of advice: I'm not sure how many of the questions are "unscored" questions, but just don't let any tricky questions get you down. Just keep on going and do your best until question 100. You might end up being as pleasantly surprised as I was.

I think it is a case of "It ain't over until the fat lady sings".
    -- Dan
  • danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    Slowhand wrote:
    Congratulations on the pass, and on your two new certs. After you're done basking in the MCSE/Security+ glow, what's up next for you?

Not decided yet - but possibly Exchange Server, possibly some Linux exams, possibly start on Server 2K8 exams as they emerge, possibly CCNA.
    -- Dan