What direction will the future take?

CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
Interesting article here - makes one wonder what's over the horizon. And if all this routing and switching will even be necessary in the future.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,347212,00.html
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I can't say I watch Fox news much.

Tremendous opportunities for networking professionals over the next few years at least. Get as much experience as you can!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think it's a sensationalistic and misleading title. This would actually be better described as internet version 2. It's being develop alongside the internet, and there will likely be interoperability between the two as the transition is made. Plus, It's basically just running everything on fiber. I don't see how the removes the need for routing and switching. You still need to figure out how data gets from one place to another. And speaking of fiber, when are all of us going to realistically have that anyway?
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If anything there will be a need for more Networking Professionals. And hopefully for more System Admins/Engineers as well.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • supercooldudesupercooldude Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not to push this thread further away from the CCIE forum...but what about when the entire internet gets hosted as an application on a single platform??

IBM Kittyhawk, Wikipedia
    IBM Research - Project Kittyhawk: A Global-Scale Computer
    IBM explores 67.1m-core computer for running entire internet
    One computer to rule them all
    Not to push this thread further away from the CCIE forum...but what about when the entire internet gets hosted as an application on a single platform??

IBM Kittyhawk, Wikipedia
    IBM Research - Project Kittyhawk: A Global-Scale Computer
    IBM explores 67.1m-core computer for running entire internet
    One computer to rule them all

Infrastructure changes over time. But you will still need capable people who not only have the vision of the future possibilities but really understand the fundamentals. This is why learning the non vendor texts i.e RFCs and theoretical books are so important.
  • supercooldudesupercooldude Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote:
    This is why learning the non vendor texts i.e RFCs and theoretical books are so important.
    I agree. Afterall, every technology, old and new, has underlying theory and RFCs.
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    it still goes back to money
    how much have company's invested in their current infrastructure ?

look at the slow adoption of fiber optics ?
    and how come ipv6 hasn't taken over the world yet ?

the intenet was born as a way to communicate in case of nuclear war
    it's protocols are 30 or more years old
    and has grown in a way that that could not have been forcasted
    soa band-aid approach has been applied
    bill gates even said that "64k is all you'll ever need" ...... icon_rolleyes.gif
    rm -rf /
    darkuser wrote:
    it still goes back to money
    how much have company's invested in their current infrastructure ?

look at the slow adoption of fiber optics ?
    and how come ipv6 hasn't taken over the world yet ?

the intenet was born as a way to communicate in case of nuclear war
    it's protocols are 30 or more years old
    and has grown in a way that that could not have been forcasted
    soa band-aid approach has been applied
    bill gates even said that "64k is all you'll ever need" ...... icon_rolleyes.gif

What people will invest in is a factor! That financial awareness is always good to have!
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    darkuser wrote:

He obviously couldn't have anticipated Vista when he made that statement, way back! :Dicon_wink.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Here's a vid that may indicate the direction and requirements for future networks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljbI-363A2Q

My Source:
    1. Shift Happens - CertForums by ManicD - http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread23801.html
    darkuser wrote:

People attribute that to him all the time, but he never said it: http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/1997/01/1484
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think people got this ideal all wrong. Internet2 is a not-for-profit orginization.
    It is also primarly used for educational institutions and research facilities.
    Do you really think major corporations are going to spend millions/billions on
    a new infrastructure and not get nothing in return?

Dont get me wrong 9.08Gigabits per second over 30,000km is amazing but this is not going
    to replace the current internet infrastructure, it did however make me laugh to hear such talk.
    how do they think their performance would rate when they have millions of users utilizing
    those links?

The media should research these kinds of things before making big time assumptions.

http://www.internet2.edu/

Keep in mind the CRS-1 is scalable up to 92Tbps over several OC768 links
    but these routers are not on the dollar menu haha!! icon_lol.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    I think people got this ideal all wrong. Internet2 is a not-for-profit orginization.

That's how everything starts.
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    Do you really think major corporations are going to spend millions/billions on
    a new infrastructure and not get nothing in return?

Dont get me wrong 9.08Gigabits per second over 30,000km is amazing but this is not going
    to replace the current internet infrastructure, it did however make me laugh to hear such talk.
    how do they think their performance would rate when they have millions of users utilizing
    those links?

The media should research these kinds of things before making big time assumptions.

http://www.internet2.edu/

Keep in mind the CRS-1 is scalable up to 92Tbps over several OC768 links
    but these routers are not on the dollar menu haha!! icon_lol.gif

Ya what dynamik said. Isn't that how the internet got started in the first place. A large majority of technology we use everyday was initiated by military, scientific organizations, universities, ect...Look how fast the internet has evolved. I think this grid system could evolve into mainstream society as well. Maybe not as fast as the internet boom, but definitely something we could see in our lifetimes.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
    I agree, it has the potential to evolve into a great new backbone but as of right now
    I'm not impressed as it does not have all the demanding users on it like the current
    infrastructure.

I personally beleive it should stay private for science & educational use only.
    It would be put to better use in the hands of scientists and engineers who dedicate
    their life to studying science. Such dedications provide the human race with major
    steps up the ladder of science and better the human race as a whole.

The next major milestone in backbone technology will be the 1Tbps links ^_^ which im
    sure we'll see in our life time. (in the next 10 years)
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i manage an institution's internet 2 connection .....

ahhh internet 2 .... from real research and science
    all the way to enabling division 1 university students limewire and bitorrent traffic .....
    rm -rf /
    darkuser wrote:
    i manage an institution's internet 2 connection .....

ahhh internet 2 .... from real research and science
    all the way to enabling division 1 university students limewire and bitorrent traffic .....

Yeah, I hear thats a major problem with i2, p2p traffic between Universities. Universities account
    for the majority of all p2p traffic.
  • SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I think it's a sensationalistic and misleading title. This would actually be better described as internet version 2. It's being develop alongside the internet, and there will likely be interoperability between the two as the transition is made. Plus, It's basically just running everything on fiber. I don't see how the removes the need for routing and switching. You still need to figure out how data gets from one place to another. And speaking of fiber, when are all of us going to realistically have that anyway?

+1

It is yet another rubbish article written by someone who either has no idea of the technology involved and/or trying to generate more attention by using misleading headline. We get those 'End of the Internet' type of articles few times a year.
  • aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it's pretty cool, it's easy to see how the internet has it's short coming having to evolved over the last how many years there must be plenty of ways to make it radically better when you can start from scratch

Plus that place they mention in the article is 5 miles from where I live, another cool thing
    What's another word for Thesaurus?