Timeframes

NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
Hey gang,
I Started studying for my 70-290 a week and a half ago. I was hoping to be able to pass it in roughly 1 months time studying. Does this sound reasonable? Figure 2 hours a day studying. How is 70-290 compared to Network+ or Security+?

I got my A+ (essentials and Technician combined) in 1 months time....I dragged my feet a bit on Network+ and security+ as it took me 2-3 months.
WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I always suggest that new users to Windows 2003 need to over lab the 290 exam as a lot of the topics on this exam apply to real life. Doing things like fake disaster recovery scenarios and file server setups really is essential knowledge when going into the IT field.

You should study until you feel comfortable with the right and wrong answers to the practices questions you do.

This could be done in 1 month if you put the time into it.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote:
    I always suggest that new users to Windows 2003 need to over lab the 290 exam as a lot of the topics on this exam apply to real life. Doing things like fake disaster recovery scenarios and file server setups really is essential knowledge when going into the IT field.

You should study until you feel comfortable with the right and wrong answers to the practices questions you do.

This could be done in 1 month if you put the time into it.

+1 LAB IT UP!!! Plus its actually fun to study like this (for a change!)
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    I've actually been a network admin (well, I AM the IT department) for the past almost 5 years for a small company and we have 6 2003 servers here. But I do like the idea of a lab I can break (on purpose this time!)

Funny, I was actually thinking of upgrading my home server from 2000 to 2003 so I can play around with all the settings I normally don't touch here at work. TS in applications mode for example, I don't even touch that here at work since we don't use it. IIS is another thing I don't know that much about other than how to install and uninstall..... and to never uninstall IIS on an exchange server.....I learned the hard way icon_sad.gif

I'm going for my MCSA and MSCE, so i figure I have lots to break and fix.
    Well fella's, I was able to complete my mission in 1 months time.

(My other Post here on techexams)
    Wow, what an eventful day.....

First, in order to take my test I had to drive 2 1/2 hours. There were 3 other testing centers *only* an hour away, but I would have had to wait 4-5 weeks to take my test.

So I leave my house at 6 am to get to my destination by 9 am. On the way there, low and behold, I get a FLAT TIRE! .....Just my luck! Murphy's law follows me everywhere. So I call the exam place, tell them I'm going to be about 20 mins late. They were cool about it.

I finally get there and begin the test. Wow, this test is not to be taken lightly. 45 questions that took me 3 1/2 hours, due mostly to the fact I reviewed every single question because I was not too confident on my answers. At the very end I took a deep breath before I clicked finish to reveal my fate.......(wait for it)............

I passed with a 785! (exhale)

It certainly was not pretty and my brain felt like mush. Then I had another 2 1/2 hour drive home. (sigh)

I guess in the end everything turned out good with a few minor inconveniences. *cracks open a beer* Now it's time to relax.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass!

Did you have to run down to Rochester? The wait times for tests are insane here. That's why I always schedule mine as soon as I start working on them and just push them back if I feel like I'm going to need more time. They definitely could use more testing centers.

2.5 hours back sucks, but just imagine how long it would have felt like if you failed icon_lol.gif
    dynamik wrote:
    Did you have to run down to Rochester? The wait times for tests are insane here. That's why I always schedule mine as soon as I start working on them and just push them back if I feel like I'm going to need more time. They definitely could use more testing centers.

2.5 hours back sucks, but just imagine how long it would have felt like if you failed icon_lol.gif

Yep, Rochester it was my friend. I thought maybe it was just my back luck on always having to drive there. I agree, we need more test centers....pretty ridiculous to have to drive that far. I think I'll take your advice and schedule my next exam 4-5 weeks in advance.