Is the A+ really hard? Or just plain easy?

jms_nov28jms_nov28 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm currently a junior in High School. We have a class named Computer Maintenance. Now I have been in that class since 9th grade. I was always top of the class, fell in love with computers since I got one back with Win95. Now since 6th grade I opened my computer, fixed them and done pretty much about everything from building to fixing. I can even code PHP and simple C++ though the A+ Objectives seem very easy for me I somehow worry I won't pass. Now that this is my last year in the class I fear I won't pass the Essentials Test. My friend passed it with a 730, but on his first try failed. My teacher says I'm not ready, but I feel I am, even though he's not willing to get me a voucher I'm willing to pay for it.

I have been over 2 Mike Meyers books, Passport A+, Comp. Maintenance, Total Tester and Transcender.
What else would you guys recommend? From 1-10 how hard is it really?

Thank you for being an awesome community, and so welcoming.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's hard or easy depending on your experience. I've been playing around with the insides of computers and have been troubleshooting things since I was 8. I could probably pass the test with a little bit of review while someone who's never cracked open a case would have quite a difficult time.

If you understand and know the material in all those resources, I'd say you're ready. That actually seems like a little bit of overkill. Transcender is a pretty reliable gauge of test difficulty. How have you been doing with that? Keep in mind that it loses all predictive value if you've gone through it multiple times.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    If you're comfortable putting together computers and troubleshooting hardware and simple software problems you shouldn't really have any issues with the A+ exams. I never really took a look at the books for the A+ so it is definitely possible to breeze through them on experience alone. The hardest part for me were the customer service questions and those weren't necessarily difficult either, as they were mostly common sense it seemed.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    All CompTIA exams are easy my friend.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • johnw02johnw02 Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□

I don't know if I would go that far.. icon_confused.gif
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jms_nov28 wrote:
    I'm currently a junior in High School. We have a class named Computer Maintenance. Now I have been in that class since 9th grade. I was always top of the class, fell in love with computers since I got one back with Win95. Now since 6th grade I opened my computer, fixed them and done pretty much about everything from building to fixing. I can even code PHP and simple C++ though the A+ Objectives seem very easy for me I somehow worry I won't pass. Now that this is my last year in the class I fear I won't pass the Essentials Test. My friend passed it with a 730, but on his first try failed. My teacher says I'm not ready, but I feel I am, even though he's not willing to get me a voucher I'm willing to pay for it.

I have been over 2 Mike Meyers books, Passport A+, Comp. Maintenance, Total Tester and Transcender.

Thank you for being an awesome community, and so welcoming.

No matter how many PC's you have opened up, upgraded and repaired you will need to prepare specifically to meet the syllabus objectives to pass this test or any test. A lot of timeserved people get their ass handed to them in exams, not because they are not capable (which they are) but because they did not revise the finer details upon which they will be tested..DMA, IRQ, memory et al.

Good luck!
  • jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    It's seems to me that you might be ready, but a lot of the questions on the test are real world based questions in the sense that you don't just need to know how to replace a cd rom but when to replace a cd rom drive. It's knowing when to do what is what is most important and if you haven't worked in a service environment before it could be tricky because some of the questions are designed with previous experience in mind.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I strongly disagree with that.

If you are new to the world and trying to build up a resume, they're trying. If you've been doing support for 10 years, not so much...but you still have to prep for them, as the scenarios arent really real world.

I did the A+ and N+ about 6 months ago and, as hard and long as I studied for them...I scraped by on all 3 tests. I know all of the material cold, and expected to smoke the tests, but the new 2007 exams seem to have a large number of questions from left field...no amount of studying would have prepped me for.

I hear a number of people that did it a long time ago say how simple they are...I found that not to be the case first hand, and through smart ppl I know failing as well.

The cert world has become too much of a #'s game to be as meaningful as we all want it to be.
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not all comptia exams are easy my friend.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076

I wouldn't say they are easy. Since some of us in here have jobs in the IT field, we definitely have an advantage. But i still wouldn't say they are easy. Especially for new people studying to get into the field there is A LOT to know in any CompTIA exam. You not only have to know Windows, but some Unix/Linux, Apple. Then, there are questions which all the choices are correct....and you have to choose the BEST one. They can easily trip up a person.

Here are 2 FREE resources:
    1) Technotes for A+ off this site. (although, they seam a bit outdated)
    2) Download cramsession study notes.
    http://www.cramsession.com/certifications/products/list-study-guides.asp
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
    Tyrant1919 wrote:

If that's the way you feel then best of luck with those Cisco and MS exams!

Just to toss in my devalued 2 cents, I found the 70-270 to be an easier exam than the Security+ was. The Security+ left me feeling more like I had failed it than the 70-270 had me feeling. They're both worlds harder than the A+ though in my humble (or vaunted) opinion. But the difficulty level is more about your experience that you bring to the exam. Though you should have a good estimate of that difficulty level from your own prior studies.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□

thats a bold statement considering that you only hold two CompTIA credentials...

Ill give you net+ though...
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    snadam wrote:

thats a bold statement considering that you only hold two CompTIA credentials...

Ill give you net+ though...

After obtaining two of them I quickly realized the money is better used buying text books for more advanced topics. In the long run it serves you better...

• GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277

I have Security+ and PMP certs coming up so lets hope thats true.

I took A+ 8 years ago so its been long time.

In General I believe there is truth to that statement.

Certainly passing Computer Science courses are harder then CompTIA exams.

I took some computer science courses that make studying for the Security+ look like a baby shower.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Turgon wrote:
    jms_nov28 wrote:
    My teacher says I'm not ready, but I feel I am, even though he's not willing to get me a voucher I'm willing to pay for it.

No matter how many PC's you have opened up, upgraded and repaired you will need to prepare specifically to meet the syllabus objectives to pass this test or any test. A lot of timeserved people get their ass handed to them in exams, not because they are not capable (which they are) but because they did not revise the finer details upon which they will be tested..DMA, IRQ, memory et al.

Good luck!

I agree with Turgon.

And if your instructor doesn't feel you are ready, then listen to him/her. Why rush?

The exam for A+ is pretty easy if you have experience. The CompTIA exam is geared toward a candidate WITH 500 hours experience. More doesn't mean you'll pass and Less doesn't mean you'll fail....it depends.

Get some shadow work under your belt and take the exam at a later date. The exam is easy, but as Turgon pointed out....many a seasoned Tech failed due to ego (or general lack of prep and too confident).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    After obtaining two of them I quickly realized the money is better used buying text books for more advanced topics. In the long run it serves you better...
    A colleague did Security+, he viewed the CBT Nuggets, went through the Transcender and passed the exam first time in only a week without reading a book. He had a lot of experience though.
  • CabbageThe1CabbageThe1 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My teacher says I'm not ready, but I feel I am, even though he's not willing to get me a voucher I'm willing to pay for it.

It was the exact opposite with me my techer said that I was ready, more or less when I walked into the class the first day. I would take your teachers advice wait untill he fills you are ready, I thought I wasn't, when I took the test I did quite well. Afterwards realized that I could have taken the test and been farther along in my studies, now I'm kicking myself for not taking his advice.

This could be the case with you, you may take the test and find that you were not as ready as you thought you were or you may pass and prove him rong. All I'm trying to say is don't rush into things, remember you teacher may see something that needs to be improved upon, ask him what you can do to become ready to take the test. Taking self tests to help better prepare you as well would be a good idea.

Just for the record I'm a junior in High School as well, so I know what it is like.
    From 1-10 how hard is it really?

It all depends on the person for me the 602 was easyer than the 601.

Good Luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style!
  • jms_nov28jms_nov28 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Turgon wrote:
    jms_nov28 wrote:

Good luck!

I agree with Turgon.

And if your instructor doesn't feel you are ready, then listen to him/her. Why rush?

The exam for A+ is pretty easy if you have experience. The CompTIA exam is geared toward a candidate WITH 500 hours experience. More doesn't mean you'll pass and Less doesn't mean you'll fail....it depends.

Get some shadow work under your belt and take the exam at a later date. The exam is easy, but as Turgon pointed out....many a seasoned Tech failed due to ego (or general lack of prep and too confident).

Okay, even though I have no "Real IT Job" I do however fix computers for money, and believe me I'm commited. Computers is my life, I would say, studying to get into the IT Fields and make my living. Not only that but for my spare time I read about detailed computer things as well.

I do agree on what you say, he is my Instructor, but never the less my friend that failed in his first try was because my Instructor told him he's really ready, and he failed. Failed 3 students. =/

I also use Sabayon as my Linux OS, so I think I'm pretty good on the UNIX group.

I'm in no rush, it's just that I feel I can pass it. The ONLY thing I'm horrible in is the Proffessionalism, and have been working on it these past days. I guess it kind of gets me in a trance feeling to take the test, because it's passion for what I have but though I'm still worried.

I'm currently using the Cert Blaster Programs to study, I got enough of Total Tester been using it for almost a year. I'm planning to study the Essentials test and tale the 602 thereafter.

Can any exp. person here at least question me in the 601? As in to get an idea on how much I know? Perhaps a chat? Or send me a questions on pm?

Thank you for all your support. I really needed it. :)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Are the A+ exams easy? That really depends. For me, differential equations and quantum mechanics are easy, but I found that I could barely draw stick figures for an art class I once took. It all depends on what your experience is, what kind of preparation you have, and if you enjoy the subject you're studying. From what you told us, you're probably ready to take on the test. If you're scoring between 80% - 90% on the Transcender, (without having taken the same test over and over, memorizing the answers,) you should definitely be ready to go.

You also have to remember, there's not a single poster on this board that wasn't nervous before his/her very first IT certification exam. It feels different than an academic exam for high school or college, and it always rattles your nerves a little bit. Anyone who says "I never get the least bit nervous before exams" forged every acronym next to their name. It's kind of like a firefighter saying he doesn't mind getting burned, just doesn't really fly.

My advice: spend about another week or so studying, take a Transcender exam to see where you're at. If you get above 80%, go sign up for the real thing. If you get below, spend another couple of weeks studying the topics you got the lowest scores on, then go do the real exam. Since you're motivated and willing to learn, I'm sure you'll rubbing that cert-card in your teacher's face before you know it.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • CabbageThe1CabbageThe1 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You also have to remember, there's not a single poster on this board that wasn't nervous before his/her very first IT certification exam. It feels different than an academic exam for high school or college, and it always rattles your nerves a little bit. Anyone who says "I never get the least bit nervous before exams" forged every acronym next to their name. It's kind of like a firefighter saying he doesn't mind getting burned, just doesn't really fly.

So, so true.

I was a reck when I went to take my test!
    If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style!
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Well, if you think your ready...then no one here is able to know that better then you. Generally it is wise to hed the advice of those more experienced....yet some instructors are morons. Personally, (knowing what I know today) I'd probably listen to the advice of the instructor. Your choice though.

One thing I'm a little tired of hearing is that people who claim to have 'no experience' then when someone makes a comment regarding the exam being geared toward experienced persons.....the next reply from the poster is defending their level of experience. You either have experience or you don't. Grant it, tinkering with friends PCs isn't the same as working in a repair shop....but if your doing it somewhat professinoally...it does count as SOME experience. What you lack is that intense, angry, client who needs to be interviewed properly and carefully to minimize them blowing up at some point during your diagnosis. Regardless, it shouldn't change how you approach the problem. Gather your facts, Recreate the problem, etc...
    /rant

Best thing, download the objectives and 'teach' the information to a friend. If you can make them learn it by the way you explain it....your ready.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Plantwiz those are some pretty good points, I especially like the "teaching the objectives," that would definitely be useful. The good thing is you are a junior in high school and you are starting to take certifications. This is only going to help you in the long run.
  • EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tyrant1919 wrote:

If that's the way you feel then best of luck with those Cisco and MS exams!

The CompTIA exams are definitely much easier than the higher level certifications. They are, however, a great stepping stone to the Microsoft, Cisco, and Redhat exams. They are intro certs, so they should be easier than the more focused certifications. I would recommend you still study just as hard as you would to pass a higher level exam. In the end it shouldn't be about passing, but rather learning and becoming a better IT professional.
  • danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    My own experience was that the A+ exams were not difficult - beyond learning details of IRQ numbers, OS install requirements etc.

Also pass marks were not pitched too high.

I took & passed the 2 exams in one day. Next stop was Network+. Again - not too taxing and a reasonable pass mark to meet.

For both certs, it also helped that I was using Mike Meyers' All-In-One books: I think he has a talent for making quite dry material entertaining.

However, as others have pointed out, when it comes to exams like Security+, I don't think it is fair to say that all CompTIA exams are easy. The material is straight forward, but when I was in the exam, I was not at all confident of passing it.
    -- Dan
  • Link64bitLink64bit Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□

So, so true.

I was a reck when I went to take my test!

I was actually quite calm when I took my tests. But when I took them I passed the 602 and almost passed the 601, so I have been studying a little more at home and at school.
    I am he who is not lost to the world, but rather he who percieves the world lost.
  • ststechststech Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Back in 97 when I took the A+ you had to sign a form stateing that you had worked in the industry for 6 months before taking the test. Has this requirement been dropped?
    I don't recall signing any such form when I took mine back in 2006.
    I took it two weeks ago, there's nothing on their that asks how long you've worked in IT.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    When I went in for my A+ exams in 2004, there was a questionnaire about how long I'd worked, what my level of experience and education was, and what my goals were. It may have been paper before, but it was part of the testing engine, popping up before I actually started the clock. The same was true for when I sat for the CCNA test, and a couple of my Microsoft exams.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    There's a survey at the end of the testing engine now...but it asks you things like where did you get your degree and stuff like that...