Options

Is the A+ worth taking...

vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
when I will be obtaining my MCDST? Would it be worth the money & the time to do this? Or would I be better off trying to just obtain my N+??

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I could see some use to having the A+ with the MCDST just for higher employer recognition on the job boards, but I wouldn't consider it worth the price. You would be better off going for the Network+ I would say.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think it's important for someone to have a foundation in an OS, hardware, and networking. I'd say go for all three to get started. If you have solid experience, you can probably omit the CompTIA exams, but they are looked for in entry-level positions. They might make the difference when it comes down to you or someone else getting the position.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think it is a good certification to have and it covers basic information every IT Pro should know. A lot of employers in the US ask for it in job descriptions for Tech Support type jobs because they know what it is. If you already have experience in IT then it is probably not necessary, even if you are just starting out it may not be necessary. But in my opinion it is good to have.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    I already work as a Help Desk Tech w/o the A+ cert.... Work is paying for me to get my MCDST as well & any certs I want to pursue.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your work is paying for it then by all means take it. Since you have some tech support experience then it should not take long to pass. Then start working on Network+ and Security+ since they cost a lot and your employer is covering the cost. After that move on to Microsoft, Cisco, Linux, etc....Whatever technology you enjoy the most.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    sthomas wrote:
    If your work is paying for it then by all means take it. Since you have some tech support experience then it should not take long to pass. Then start working on Network+ and Security+ since they cost a lot and your employer is covering the cost. After that move on to Microsoft, Cisco, Linux, etc....Whatever technology you enjoy the most.

The first cert they want me to take is my MCDST, I had no real choice in the matter...