Which Book Did You Use to Pass Poll

apreston48apreston48 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Select which book you used to pass
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    along with the passport book, I found the sybex to be a GREAT book for this exam. you will find most others agree.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    No option for none of the above?
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used the Syngress book. Add that as an option, and I'll vote ;)
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I used the Syngress book. Add that as an option, and I'll vote ;)

+1
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • apreston48apreston48 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used the Sybex book as my primary source, but I also used the Exam Cram 2.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Nishesh.PrasadNishesh.Prasad Member Posts: 185
    used cbtnuggets + sybex
    MCITP: EA 2008| VCP4| MCSE 2003 | CCNA | MCSA 2003: Security | MCDST | Security+ | ITILV3
  • stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    I used:

* Exam Cram 2
    * A+, Network+, Security+ Exams in a Nutshell

The two covered most of the topics for those with a grounding in security.
  • danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    Primarily Sybex - although early studying was using an out-of-date Exam Cram (not Exam Cram 2).
    -- Dan
  • apreston48apreston48 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    it's interesting to see the differences in what everyone used to accomplish the same goal.
  • jdixon63jdixon63 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sybex, Deluxe Ed (2006) = intro & adequate survey
    Syngress 2nd Ed (2007)= if you really want to learn something

Sybex may be okay for a pass (which surprises me, except for those with pretty solid IT background already), but its intro level skimming of the most interesting and complex topics frustrated me to no end. I want to *know* and *understand* security concepts; not just get a "here's the jargon" treatment of it.

Note: Sybex has one of the worst and error-riddled TCP/IP overviews I've ever seen in print.
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Syngress Book +1
  • jdixon63jdixon63 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    snadam wrote:
    along with the passport book, I found the sybex to be a GREAT book for this exam. you will find most others agree.
    Actually, I disagree strongly. If you haven't bought your book yet, sybex is okay for overview and encapsulating relevant exam jargon, but you won't get much practical benefit from it (except for the practical application appendix).

If you're still trying to decide, pick a book that will help you prep, plus will make you a more knowledgeable and capable professional (like syngress 2nd Ed or other). Unfamiliar with IT security?...then sybex is a decent intro/overview.
  • Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Use more than one textbook & more than one practice test (independent of textbooks used) and you should be fine. Helps to have experience w/ servers or at least one server exam/cert under your belt to find info meaningful. Harder to learn and not as useful if it's one of your first certs.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    I used Sybex and thought the coverage was too light.

Sybex was not good enough IMO.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • rickfrayrickfray Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I primarily used Sybex, 2nd Edition and Exam Cram2 a little as that was provided at a bootcamp I went to. But even those two together were inadequate. It took me two tries, and I saw questions/answers/topics that neither book covered.
    Rick Fray, Security+
    Systems Engineer
    Booz Allen Hamilton

I don't have any skills! Like computer hacking skills... - Napoleon Dynamite