How to Prepare for the Linux+

examseekerexamseeker Member Posts: 118
Ok, now that I have Ubuntu, how do I prepare for the Linux+? I have Ubuntu at work on a VM machine. I have heard that Cent5 OS was awesome as well. I may use VM Server at home to load Cent5 OS. (Has anyone had any trouble with that?)

My main question is-- How do I prepare for the Linux+ now that I have Ubuntu? Are there online labs to go through? I do plan to take and pass the CCNA before the Linux+ -- and I want to study a Unix book before I get serious about L+.

So, how do I get started?

Thanks!
es
:D

Comments

• supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    1st. Download the exam objectives from CompTIA. Put together a separate machine (it will run on a wide variety of older equipment) and practice installs. Forget VM. Concentrate on the CLI. Don't worry about X. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not sure why you would "forget VM"...virtualization is a piece of cake and a great learning tool.

Best way to get started is to buy a Linux+ book -- this one is goodicon_sad.gifhttp://www.amazon.com/Linux%2B-Certification-Study-Guide-Guides/dp/007148874X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207861806&sr=8-1)

Perform the exercises as you read through the book. Get as much hands on with Linux as you can and don't be afraid to try things out on your system. :)
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • examseekerexamseeker Member Posts: 118
    Thanks.. I kinda like VM.. and I will check out that book soon.

icon_lol.gif
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Please don't take me wrong. I am not downplaying the virtues of VM, I am just pointing out that so much more can be gained by doing some installs, messing it up, fixing, reinstalling, etc. This is trickier when you are doing this on your main machine or laptop.

The L+ is a straight forward exam which sticks to the posted objectives well. The GUI is not a big part of the exam. Drive it around. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Please don't take me wrong. I am not downplaying the virtues of VM, I am just pointing out that so much more can be gained by doing some installs, messing it up, fixing, reinstalling, etc. This is trickier when you are doing this on your main machine or laptop.

What do you think is the significant difference between installing in a VM and a traditional installation? Are you comparing a traditional installation to pre-built packages like VMWare Player appliances and VHDs?

I don't see how installing directly onto a machine is significantly different than installing in a VM. Maybe it's just late..
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    If you use Vmware player its really easy to get a distro up and running. All you have to do is point the player at the appliance and let it do its magic. As for server or workstation, I don't know. But it is something else to install a distro on a machine. Slackware, Arch, and some others should really give a good indication how to install Linux. Gentoo is even harder to get up and running.
  • examseekerexamseeker Member Posts: 118
    I think VM Ware is the way to go. You still go through the installation sequence, but you do not have to worry so much about messing up or buying more hardware. Anyway, thanks again for all the responses.

es
  • C4talystC4talyst Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't worry about X. icon_cool.gif
    I'm going for the Linux+ next week...were there *no* X questions? There are a lot on the practice exams I have...
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I think what tech is trying to say is that real hardware will give you a better understanding of some of the components of Linux. For instance, the harddrive lettering might be different using a virtual machine, things like that. Installing hardware and configuring it would be different. You really can't install hardware on a vmmachine the same way you would an actual piece of hardware. Things operate differently. You don't need the best to do the job, get a 500 mhz computer with 40 gig hard drive and 256 MB of ram off of craigslist for like 50 bucks. Thats not a bad investment for the exam.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    C4talyst wrote:
    Don't worry about X. icon_cool.gif
    I'm going for the Linux+ next week...were there *no* X questions? There are a lot on the practice exams I have...

I think what he meant was don't use the GUI to configure stuff in Linux, use the CLI. It would be good to know how to configure X though.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2