Options

Few questions about online degrees.

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
I just noticed the link on the left and decided to check some of them out. I just finished up this quarter with my Associates in Computer Science Technology and I want to go on and get my bachelors. With working, it's going to be a bit tough driving back and forth to work and college, considering there's around a 30-40 mile distance between them.

Are online universities really any good? When I think about it, it just seems like you wouldn't learn as much. I don't know anyone who has ever used one, so my opinions don't come from actual knowledge. Has anyone tried any online courses and found them useful? Do you think it would benefit me more to go to a university for another two years or is an online university worth looking into? Any suggestions/experiences will be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Options
    halflife78halflife78 Member Posts: 122
    I am curious about the same thing myself :D
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I do not know how usefull this info is but.....My g/f has taken online classes, then transfered them into Michigan State for a BS. I honestly do not think it matters as long as you get a degree from a somewhat known school. I would go to a school that offers both online and classroom studies. I have heard those "all internet classes" get frowned upon.
  • Options
    bighuskerbighusker Member Posts: 147
    I'd just make sure to take classes at a legitimate school where your credits will actually transfer later on. You might want to stay clear of for-profit online universities for this reason as well (University of Phoenix, etc.)
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    bighusker wrote:
    I'd just make sure to take classes at a legitimate school where your credits will actually transfer later on. You might want to stay clear of for-profit online universities for this reason as well (University of Phoenix, etc.)

You might want to check this statement. The University of Phoenix is one of the first and lagest online Univeristies. It is an accredited and widely recognized. I am currently attending the UOP and I can tell you that some of the classes are harder than a lot of the classes I have attended at local universities. A degree from this school will be recognized by other Universities..... I know this, because I have transfered credits from them. Also...the degree is from the University of Phoenix...not the University of Phoenix Online....The university has many campus locations as well as the online courses.

http://online.phoenix.edu/index.asp

When it comes to online colleges, you have to determine if that type of learning is for you. There will be no instructor standing in front of you making you do your assignments. If you don't want it bad enough...An online school is really not for you. I do agree you need to check on each of the schools before attending them. There are several out there that are not accedited universities. Be careful. One other down side to online universities is....the cost..they are very expensive. Good thing I have the GI Bill from my time in the military to pay for the courses.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do...
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA