MCTS or MCITP? opinion please ...

rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
hi guys,

i think its time to move forward to MS next generation certification since i think my MCSA 2K "no longer" valid :) (still can be used with 2003 platform - but now is 200icon_cool.gif

which path do you think best to take - since my certs cant be upgraded :

MCTS Windows Server 2008 platform (there are 3 exams)
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/windowsserver/2008/default.mspx

or

MCITP : Enterprise Admin (5 exams)
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/windowsserver/2008/enterprise/default.mspx

my catch :
- i dont think that i need get in depth with Windows Server platform anymore since now i'm considering all platform work.
- i think the network infrastructure basic are pretty much the same from time to time (except ipv6).
- in Windows 2008, i think it will be pretty much GUI & system re-orientation? since my longhorn trial system looks like a much different then those 2000 & 2003 servers?

your opinion please , and thank you :)
the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You realize that the three exams for the MCTS are part of the MCITP, right? You're going to get that either way. It's more of a question of whether you want to go on to the last two or not.

Are you going to be supporting any Vista clients? 70-620 (Configuring Vista) is one of the other exams you can use for the MCITP. This exam has a reputation of being pretty easy.

That just leaves 70-647 for the MCITP.

Also, there is an unofficial extension to upgrade to 2003 in place until May 24th. You could upgrade to MCSA 2003 and then take the upgrade to MCTS from there. Just something to think about.

Check out the MCITP: Server Administrator as well: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/windowsserver/2008/server/default.mspx

edit: Is there an MCTS you get for completing all three exams? It looks like you earn an MCTS for each one: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcts/default.mspx
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi dynamik,
    it's more of a question of whether you want to go on to the last two or not.

ya - thats what comes to my mind ;) silly me - age never lies ;) i feel old ;)
    Are you going to be supporting any Vista clients?

supposed to be - but just like the rest of the world saying not too much adoption to vista i think i'll leave that later.

speaking windows server 2008 support for other OS : what do you think - was it good, plenty support or not?
    Also, there is an unofficial extension to upgrade to 2003 in place until May 24th.

wow - thats new - good news then ;)
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    in Windows 2008, i think it will be pretty much GUI & system re-orientation? since my longhorn trial system looks like a much different then those 2000 & 2003 servers?

You can install the GUI in Windows Server 2008 but you can also command line only which I believe is called the PowerShell. I only have limited knowledge of Windows Server 2008 and Exchange 2007 but it seems that Microsoft is going in the direction of the PowerShell (command line) as some of the things cannot be done in Exchange 2007 in the GUI and have to be done in the comand line interface.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    PowerShell = CMD on steroids. It comes with Server 2008, but you can download it for XP SP2, Vista, and Server 2003.

The stripped-down version of Server 2008 is referred to as the "Core" version.
  • nicktfnicktf Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can't run Powershell on Core (yet) - no .NET Framework. The interface on core is good ole cmd.exe.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nicktf wrote:
    You can't run Powershell on Core (yet) - no .NET Framework. The interface on core is good ole cmd.exe.

But you can run PowerShell remotely to manage a Server Core system as long as you're only making WMI calls.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks