Employer wants me to pick some classes to attend...

az_golferaz_golfer Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

My employer wants me to pick 2 week long classes/worksops to attend on their dime.

Some of my responsibilities that I need some knowledge on are:

Linux, RedHat
IIS
Web Development
Web Security
FaultTolerance/Clustering in a Web Environment

I have never had this sort of training opportunity before so I don't know where to begin.

Does anyone have any recommendations as for as quality training providers or topics I should cover?

Thanks for any feedback!

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What is your background/current level of experience?
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    What type of work do you currently do, and what kind of work are you interested in doing?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    From where? What's your budget? We're gonna need a lot more info buddy. But you can't beat the red hat certs since you already have experience.
    -Daniel
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What are your core job duties?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • az_golferaz_golfer Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here is some more information about my background and my current job duties. I have a couple of years experience managing Windows servers in a medium size network (50 servers, 11 site wan). I have almost completed my MCSE (70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-297).

My new employer has my title as "Web Systems Analyst" and I am in charge of several different web apps for a Community College. They are using a mixture of physical servers in a clustered/load balanced environment and several virtual machines running on VMWare.

A big project coming up is the deployment of a new portal system that run on top of Linux Red Hat AS 3 & 4.

I have thought about getting some RedHat training but the current release is ver.5 and I don't know how much is going to be relevant to the older production servers we will be using. I have also thought about IIS, web security or web development.

I also don't know who are reputible training providers??

Thanks!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What's your Linux background? If it's on the weak side, you should probably start with Linux+ and/or LPIC. The knowledge you gain with those will be applicable to Red Hat.

I wouldn't go into web development unless that's ultimately where you want to go. You'd could spend years mastering HTML, CSS, Javascript, SQL, and server-side language(s). If you want to get started with this, pick up the Dummies books for HTML and CSS. They're easy to learn, and there's no reason to spend the time and money in a class. If you are interested in this for security reasons you should consider familiarizing yourself with SQL injection attacks and cross-site scripting (XSS).
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    I would have to go with the redhat training if i were you. Alot of it will be applicable to your proposed setup. Plus its very respected and will help you get a job later on down the line.
  • az_golferaz_golfer Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice!

Here's what I think I'm gonna propose attending...any thoughts?

Red Hat Linux Networking & Security Administration
    http://interfacett.com/courses/redhat/rh253-red-hat-linux-networking-amp-security-administration/

Ethical Hacking & Countermeasures
    http://interfacett.com/courses/security/sec550-ethical-hacking-and-countermeasures-ceh/
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    I envy you....we dont run much linux so that would be a hard one for me to pull.

Good luck on getting it approved and enjoy it.