Options

How many hours of study?

alexcirnualexcirnu Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am interested in taking the Project+ exam.

how many hours of study are needed in order to pass the test?

if i study 10 hours a week, will i be able to take it in 3 months?

note: if I have a BS in Comp Sci, so i do have basic knowledge..

Comments

• Options
    please guys...im about to take the decision of when to take the test, i would really need to know how much time (average of course) is needed to study for this...

so pleease, if you've taken the test, let me know!

thank you
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I started preparing for this myself as it was a requirement for the MCNE but I abandoned it because I did not have enough time to prepare for Groupwise 6 Administration properly before that exam was withdrawn and the MCNE was retired.

So I saved myself a bunch of bucks on taking the Project+ test needlessly as I wasn't going to be able to clear the Novell electives in time to make MCNE before it was retired last June!

But I did look over the Project + requirement. Had I managed to clear groupwise in the whole week I had to prepare for it I was left with one week to clear Project +. I believe that was doable but a few words of caution..

I used the Sybex Project + book and had already spent a few days turning it over and trying out the practice test so I wasn't totally unprepared.

I have a lot of experience working with project managers so the subject matter was not completely alien to me. I needed to put in a good deal of work to clarify the terminology used but a couple of weeks should have been enough I think. If I had cleared the groupwise test after just a week of cramming I would have gone for it confident I could nail it in a week. It would have been a lot of work but the pass mark isn't very high.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    hey! thanx for the reply..

i did see that the Sybex book is like 500 pages long or something like that...

u're saying that in a full week of studying (7-8 hours a day i guess), you could knock the test down?

i am wondering if 2 months (studying about 20 hours a week) will be enough for me?

i have a bS in comp sci.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    alexcirnu wrote:
    hey! thanx for the reply..

i did see that the Sybex book is like 500 pages long or something like that...

u're saying that in a full week of studying (7-8 hours a day i guess), you could knock the test down?

i am wondering if 2 months (studying about 20 hours a week) will be enough for me?

i have a bS in comp sci.

You have a BS in comp sci? Well there's a lot of BS in that book. Jk ;)

As I say I have experience with project managers but really once you get your head around the terminology in that book the rest is just practical thinking really. I don't think this test is hard in terms of brain power, you just need to put some time in and pay attention.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I'm studying for this exam (more or less), and am reading The Complete Idiot's Guide to Project Management. I've been able to knock out two chapters a day usually over lunch, and there are 28 chapters if I remember right. I'm about halfway through the book now.

Project management books might be a good ticket for you as opposed to an exam study guide, as the project management books will give you background and insight that an exam study guide might miss. As Project+ has a lot of subjective material, you want the insight that will have you walk into the test with the right mindset of project management.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers