FAILED?!?!!!?!

johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
I feel like an idiot for failing a test with a 499 minimum passing score!!

I got a 485, so i probably only missed it by 2 or 3 questions. I used the sybex book for preparation. The problem I had with this test was there were a lot of questions that I honestly had no idea what they were asking me. I plan to continue preparing for this one and take it again.

I'm feeling like a complete moron right now, so any words of encouragement will be greatly appreciated. icon_cry.gif
BS - Computer Science
MS - Computer Information Systems

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You'll get it on the next try. icon_thumright.gif
    You've got your A+ and Net+ so you're no stranger to these exams (and you're not a moron either). :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hey -- it was just a recon! Now that you've scoped it out, you'll stomp it next time. :D

Just go ahead and walk it off.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • johnnyg5646johnnyg5646 Member Posts: 173
    Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm going to try and pick up another book and just make sure I nail it next time!! :D
    BS - Computer Science
    Just out of curiosity, do you feel like you failed it because of not studying enough or because the sybex book was of no help. I ask this because you said there were alot of questions you didnt have a clue about. I have used sybex in the past. What is your take on the book. By the way i felt like that the first time i took the win xp test.
    lungsucker.jpg
    To be honest, i think it was a combination of things. For one thing, I kind of approached this test the way I had the other ones I've taken, which doesn't really work. I memorized all the steps in project mangement and all of the definitions. This would be enough to pass other CompTIA exams. But, in this situation it's a lot of situational questions. For example: "an outside vendor has called stating that the deliverable you've ordered from them will be two weeks late. It is pushing your schedule off track. What is the best way to handle this?"

If I had prepared for this exams appropriately, I probably would have been more prepared for questions like these. That being said, there were some questions on this exam that I do not remember seeing in the text. There weren't a ton of these, but enough to make you discouraged in the middle of an exam.

The sybex book probably is enough to pass the exam, but you have to really study it. Someone else in another thread passed using only this book. I'm probably going to check out additional text though.
    BS - Computer Science
    I am sorry that you didn't not pass the test. That was me that only used the sybex book and passed. Do you have any project management experience? I have been working for a while assisting a PM Professional Project Manager. He helped me understand the process the way they want you too know it.

A little advice to you, think of they way they want you to approach different situations. Don't think of it the way you would approach it. I also had alot of situational questions on my exam. I wish you luck when you take the exam again.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Don't worry, you'll get it next time. Some exams just blindside you, and you're left wondering what the heck happened. Take some time to decompress, study up on your weak areas, and hit it again. And, if you can, pick up a different book, in case there are things the Sybex missed and to give you a different perspective on the topics.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • kkaltsaskkaltsas Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm sitting Project+ next week, hopefully I can manage a 499. :)
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll keep you posted on my work towards passing this test. And good luck to you, kkaltsas!!

I don't have any PM experience, but i'm hoping this cert might help give me a little nudge in that direction. icon_wink.gif
    BS - Computer Science

thank you!